ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While replacing my heater hose, I noticed that the center bolt on the valve cover was sticking up about a 1/4 inch. That explained the oil leaking from the valve cover gasket. So, I snugged the bolt by hand and then put the 10 mm socket to tighten the bolt. Things seemed to tighten up, but all of a sudden, the bolt seemed to jump and was completely loose again! So the @#$!#@ that owned the car before me did an oopsy!.
Question: what next? Is there a best way to fix this problem without replaicing the head?

'79 280ZX

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: stripped bolt hole on head</b>

Simple. Just pick a bolt slightly larger in diameter, buy a tap for that size bolt, drill the stripped hole out to the recommended size and tap new threads for the larger bolt. If you have the tools, it shouldn't take more than about 15 minute for the repair.

By the way, this kind of problem can happen when one uses a bolt too long for the hole that is there. It bottoms out and further cranking on it just strips the threads.

Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
loctite makes a something that works as a thread renewer. i'm not sure how it works, but it's worth a try. my other suggestion is to buy a tap that is the correct size and re-tap the hole to see if that sets up the threads. since the cover only requires 10-12lbs of tightening torque, it might work. the next step would be to tap the hole to the next size and put a larger bolt in. all of these fixes assuming you don't want to take the head off and take it to the machine shop. hope this helps.
andy

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go to the local auto parts and get a thread insert of the proper size. Simply drill and tap to the proper size, put in the insert and you will be able to use the original bolt..

·
Registered
345 Posts
How about that long water pump bolt?

The bolt I (and others I have talked to) had trouble with is the long top (11 oclock) water pump bolt. I can tell you some real stories about that one. Since the threads are in the block behind the front engine cover typical recovery/easyout techniques are hard to perform. Anyone have a good fix besides tapping the front engine cover and using a short but larger bolt? This works but leaves some question as to the seal on the water passage this (and two other) bolts make.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.