ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heheh not that kind of strip, I need to strip the paint and I need help on something thats really strong that would strip like 3 layers or more, I've tried 2 different types aerosal cans called Auto Strip and some other one i forgot. but I've also tried some paint on stuff from the hardware store called JASCO. it works ok but I want something that can take all the layers off at once anyone know of any product they would like to recommend for stripping many layers of paint?
TIA
ZYA!
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Don't know how good or enviro friendly, put you could use brake fluid or gasket stripper. Both of these products will strip just about anything. Although, I have never purposefully tried it on automotive paint. I had a leaky master cylinder and I remember that it stripped the paint below it to bare metal. Make sure if you use either of these ideas not to pollute the environment. Don't wash it down the drain. Heavy fines and not a good thing to do period.
Later,
Tim Deesen

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Yuichi, My Friend...

I remember recommending that you bead blast the old paint off your car a week or so ago. It's quick in terms of preparation and relatively cheap. Besides that, you'll know what it costs in advance. There won't be any "Oyeahs," like "Oyeah, paint strippers eat up rubber, upholstery, the clothes you're wearing and your corneas too."

Now if you want to fool with poisonous, irritating, messy, damaging paint stripping compounds and/or sand paper you're going to have hours and hours and hours of work and clean up to think of the words, "**** it, I should've listened to ol' Slim!"

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Yuichi, My Friend...

It was very long and tedious, but I used stripping wheels that I got from Wal-Mart on the end of my drill. They look like hard fiber scotchbrite pads and are made by 3M. Takes a lot of them though!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slim shady you wasted

heheh just had to say that line , it really means nothing, but my question to you is how much exactly does sand blasting cost?? i'm on a very limited budget. By the way all the part that i'm having trouble stripping is this brown layer and what appears to be some sortav of foam or something or rubber its a biyath to scrap off or sand off.
thanks again
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Cost Depends...

The cheapest shot you have is to find a pal with a compressor and an air gun. If you're that lucky, you'll be out around $30 maximum for the medium; that is, the stuff you shoot at the car.

You might also make friends with a shop class instructor or student in your area, in which case your cost may be even less than $30.

As a last chance at the goodbuddy angle, you could ask around for the name of a guy who does blasting in his garage or shop on weekends. That'll probably set you back somewhere between a case of beer and $100. I'd try to make sure the guy does the work before he knocks back the brew, however.

If you're plumb out of friends, you can go to a tool rental place and get the gear you need. That should take your cost up to around $150 total. Possibly a little more, since you live in the southern end of the Golden State. The portable compressor you use should have at least 130 psi. Ask the rental agent which medium he recommends and run a test before you start shooting your car to make sure it's correct. Needless to say, keep your eyeballs protected at all times.

The financially grimmest solution is to walk into a sand blasting shop and pay about $150 to $200 for the job. With luck, they'll tell you how to do some of the preparation, like the heavy masking, and recommended trim removal, to keep your out-of-pocket expenses down.

As always, I recommend doing a little homework first, possibly in the form of reading through a library book on the subject of metal blasting and preparation, before you break down and go to a stranger's shop. The more you know, the less vulnerable you are to high prices.

The last car I sanded by hand and used Strip-Eze on was years and years ago. I was stoned for a week or more on the fumes and my finger prints still haven't grown back. It was one of those grungy jobs that looked like a snap till I got into it, and by then there was no turning back. My good deed for the day is keeping you from that kind of misery. Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
you need a product called Aircraft Stripper. it's cheap and should be available at your local parts store. the stuff is strong, so be careful, and from my experience, three layers of paint should take maybe 10 minutes once applied. use gloves when you put it on as it burns like crazy. it can be diluted with water once applied, so you can just hose off your paint.
good luck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: listen to slim!!!!</b>

Listen to slim I have been there with the aircraft paint remover.If your car is anything like mine was then it will take more then 10 min for 3 layers I spent two weeks of evenings stripping my car. I only got a soso job done and will probably end up taking it to a pro to have it blasted. Not to mention I now need to replace ALL of my window seals. In reality unless you have alot of rust you dont need to blast. A good sand job would do.

good luck

Brian

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Anyways are good...

Except the bad ones.

Frankly, the way of removing paint is a subject of personal judgement.
I once grinded down a 1972 BMW Bavaria by myself, using only a rotating steelbrush!
(I will never do that again!)
Blasting is okay, since it also takes away the rust.
The trick is to get rid of all sand or whatever you using...
(Don't do this on the driveway, if your neighbors still likes you. Some of mine has started to say Hi again...)
Brakefluid, preferrably used, is marvelous on smaller details. Soak a rag in it, wrap it around the thing and then wrap a layer of plastic foil around it.This method comes to a shortage when it matters an entire car...
Like previous replies,I suggest some chemical stripper. Don't know if Methylen chloride is allowed in the US? (Here in Sweden it's banned since some 25 years, but I found a jar in my fathers garage!)
Very dangerous stuff, wear eyeprotections since it "yeasts" and thick rubber alt. asbestos gloves. This one strips everything (If left unattended, it gets on the metal as well)so be
careful if you find it!
Don't know about the costs over there, but gasketremovers don't come cheap here, but they works good on all kinds of paint, except filler, which has to be stripped mechanically.
Try to get as much info as possible, speak with people who has "been there" and Good luck!

Regards Marten Carlsson
Sweden

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you blast, don't use sand!

If you use sand as your blasting medium, it will heat up too much and worp your panels. Use plastic, or crushed walnut medium, it wont heat up. It also wont affect any bondo under your paint, so you can see what fixes where done before you had the car. You can use sand on the bondo, and rust, but don't use it on your panels!
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
You Gotta Be Smarter Than the Job

In the case of blasting off paint, that means doing it indoors, or at least using some kind of heavy drape for a backstop and promptly sweeping up afterward.

Now I don't know how things are in Sweden, but here in the U.S.A. we've got a cultural practice called the lynch mob. If someone goes out in his drive way and lets blasting medium and paint chips fly all over his neighbors' lawns, gardens, cars and houses, they bring a rope and string him up to the nearest live oak tree. It's a crude but effective way of saying, "We don't like what you just did."

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: You Gotta Be Smarter Than the Job

Tell me about it!!
Did it once (With a '65 Mustang) and never again.
About blasting medium, Sand is great if there are many layers of paint and fillers, otherwise I'm aware of that it can cause severe damage on body panels.
Best in this case (and supreme on aluminum) is glass. Walnut is supposed to be great as well, but I have not find anyone who sells walnut blasting medium over here.(The companies where I've asked for it has more or less declared me halfwitted)
But if you have to clean meachanically worked surfaces(such as camshafts,valves and so on) this is the best medium to use.
Regards from one who blasts off happily indoors nowadays. Marten Carlsson

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.