ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what constitues a car not being legal on the streets? hp? intereor? tire size? and if it does have to do with hp does anybody know the limit?

·
Registered
673 Posts
hmm... i know lighting, ground clearance, bumper, exhaust, and window tinting are all cracked down on. im not 100% positive on all the details but i know they're things to watch out for. and for some reason i seem to want to think 800hp was a street legal limit? anybody else know for sure? cuz now i'm curious too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, I would recommend you watch out for 350hp. If you're gonna cross that line, make it good - that's the threshold where many insurance companies put you on their "high performance" plan. Just a tip.

As for street legality, one of the most basic things is safety/emissions testing. Tire size must be a loose limit, because I've seen veritable monster trucks on the street. Horsepower must be a relatively high limit like Zpit said. Tinting can only be on passenger windows and, in some states, rear windshields no more than 50% tint. I'm not sure, but I think tinting the driver's window is illegal in some/most states because cops need to see into the car. Many states ban certain types of super-bright or differently-colored headlights, and some even ban euro-style taillights (good riddance). Turn signals usually have to remain orange, or at least blinking.

If I'm wrong about something, please clarify it.. I'm pulling this stuff off the top of my head.
Rob

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
there is a link on SEMA.ORG where you can view particular laws for different states. I know they have every states altered suspension guidlines for both raised and lowered vehicles.

Just a side note...some laws can be bent or gone around. For example, here in Ga there is a law or ordinance against excessive exhaust noise. But it does not list a specific means of testing it nor measuring the amount of noise. Thus you can go to court and fight it siting what is excessive to the officer. Isnt necessarily excessive to me. It is an opinionated law. There are many ways of reading into the words used to lay out a law. You just have to know where to look.

·
Registered
152 Posts
it varies from state to state.

tint on the front windows is illegal in california (although it the books some very light tint is legal, cops will still give you aticket anyways). lighting and ride hieght are both conserns. there is no law on HP, just so long as your car passes emissions, or is exempt. exactly how the **** does your insurance company know what kind of HP you have (outside of stock) lol thats funny. tint on the rear windows can be spray apinted, providing you have mirros on both sides, i know there is somr sort os statute about wich kinds of cars can have black out windows, but cops wont hassle you as long as your fronts are clear (think box vans and limos).

basically, (in california) as long as your headlights are whiteish and your tailights are red, your turn signals are amber and it passes emissions, and so long as no part of your car is lower than your rim, your good to go. i personally know of a few different 800+ HP big block monsters in town, one of them recently dynoed @ over 1,000 hp, and it belongs to a traffic cop. (502 with a procharger)

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
**** you guys got it tough... im so glad i dont live in one of those states. in florida there is no emissions testing or inspection of any kind to my knowledge, window tinting is legal for all rear windows and can be as dark as you want, front windows have to be like 30% tint and no more. some local "towns" or cities or whatever have loud exhaust ordinances and you will get an anoying like 25$ ticket for driving through at night. as long as your tail lights light up red and have some kind of reflector they are good, and turn signals must FLASH amber. and as far as i know you can have your car as low as you want, they just build larger speedbumps to force people not to do it lol

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Heh street legal and street driven car which do you want? In the part of TN im in pretty much as long as your windows comply with the tint laws and youve got tags your good to go. Cats? Who needs them HP the more the better (as far as I know that doesnt make a difference anywhere), lowered you have to comly to I think your lisence plate being 7" off the ground. But thats about it.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
here certain tints, exhaust db's, wheels have to fit within guards, certain ground clearance, no emission test, no neons, fog lights must work(dont know the reasoning behind that)

certain mods must be certified

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
where i live..in Paulding county, Ga. Cops dont give a crap about anything. As long as you are not acting out like doin burnouts or something, they are pretty cool. Now the minute you cross the county line into Cobb these guys get real anal. I have been stopped before because the cop said he heard me coming.

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
before you approach the level of no longer being streetlegal,you may cross the line where your car is no longer streetable.

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
there are. certain tires,exhaust,hoods and doors,ride height,lighting,window tint,noise level,...stuff like that(and the lack there of) can and will make your vehicle illegal to be operated on public roads.

but usually before that happens,the car will no longer be streetable.

in my racing days,everyone shaved the heads of their V8's and bumped the compression way up,put the biggest valves and cams in that we could find,high stall converters,and skinny front tires and big slicks, and open exhaust.

the cars were very quick,(one guy's ChevyII would run 8's in the quarter),but loud as ****,got 3 gallons to the mile,and would blow the headgaskets the first time it saw stopNgo traffic.and when it started raining,i'd cringe with fear.streetlegal,yes...but it was a severe headache to try to drive the car on the streets.

i

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.