ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ok ok so…i have an 86 300zxt it runs pretty well for the most part…. I problem has started with the electrical system…. like when I am driving and I depress the brake pedal the lights in the dash, gauges and time clock go off for a second then com right back on like nothing is wrong…. my digi-speedometer seems to work when it wants to and some times comes on after the lights flicker when I depress the brake…
Another thing is when I turn the car off and try to restart it doesn't turn over or if it does its really slow, the lights don’t come on the hazards don’t come on pretty much nothing comes on…
I thought the battery was dead but my windows still work and I am hearing a clicking sound when I turn the key…
When I got a jump start to start my car the engine ran but the lights the dash didn’t come on till after the engine was revved a bit …

I hope this makes a bit of since to some 1
Any help is great

·
Registered
255 Posts
That clicking sound you hear when you try starting your engine., could be your starter. Not sure though. As for the other stuff. I don't know.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
did you check your negative battery cable? could also be your alternator slowly dying.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i have had a few lemon alts. go to auto zone and have them test it and also load test your battery. its free and only takes 5 min. it will give you a better idea of what your dealing with. it sounds to me like the neg battery cable of bad alt. and/or weak battery not holding a charge.

also your windows can go up but the battery not have enough juice to crank.

when you hit the brakes and your lights dim is a sign of low voltage. reconfirming the possible causes.

·
Registered
657 Posts
my guess would be either the neg bat. cable or one of the cables on the alt. check them????? might not have tightened something.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It sounds like you have a charging problem but it also sounds like your fusible link burned out it is located in the little black box by your battery. Check the fuses they have clear tops look to see if there burnt and if you cant tell shake them and there bad they usally rattle.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yes - definitely have your alternator tested. It's free and easy and will save you weeks worth of headaches.

Also definitely check the fusable link 300zx86t mentioned. Some of the stranger systems remind me of when I blew my fusable link. It is also extremely easy to check. If you have a hard time finding it post here again - it's one of those "hard to explain" items.

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tug on the wires a little bit. It's just rubber casing around a wire so if the wire inside has burned out, the casing will just stretch. If you can bend them and they stay in the position you bend them into then obviously there's a wire inside that's holding it, meaning it is still good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have found 1 of the fusable links to be faulty the wire was fine but down insie it was the clip on part i looked bunt and both didnt look the same it was missing somthing on the inside

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.