Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
> I HAVE A 1983 TURBO 280 ZX I WANT TO CONVERT
> IT TO A TWIN
> TURBO?????????????HOW?????????:)

In the Skyline they appeared to do it by taking the twin ( 3+3 ) exhaust manifolds (?) and routing them each into an identical turbocharger, with both turbos outputting into a single large intercooler, thence to the intake manifold. The advantage is faster spool than a single bruiser, and yet _possibly_ comparable or higher output. The disadvantages are double the piping complexity and possibly wicked synchronization issues. To retrofit a current single-turbo system like your Z with a second turbo sounds like way more trouble than it's worth. Methinks you'd probably be better off simply rethinking the details of your current single-turbo setup.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
TWIN TURBO

I am in the process of rebuilding a 73 240z. Along with the fuel cell, roll cage, suspension and monster motor, I have decided to build a twin turbo setup. I have recently obtained a new 300zx TT garrett turbo and will use a pair of these for my setup. Basically, they are the same turbo as on the 280 zx turbo but have the additional water cooled section. Plumb the 1st 3 cylinders to one turbo and the last 3 cylinders to the other. Between the two turbo's, make a cross over pipe to equalize the pressure between the two turbo's. Run both turbo's to a single pipe before the intercooler and away you go. I have heard alot of negative things in my quest to TT the L-28. I am convinced that the people who have dogged the idea are too scared or do not want to hassle with doing the setup. Even if the power is no more than the single turbo, wouldn't it be cool to have a twin turbo straight six?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.