ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has put a straight exhaust on their 280zx or z with the catalytic converter in place? Is this setup really really loud of does it sound rather well? My muffler is about to fall off and was thinking about a straight exhaust. What do you guys think?

thankz
chadzx

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have a straight exhaust on my 240Z Turbo right now. Thankfully, it's just temporary. It's bloody loud, and turbos are known to be significantly quieter with a straight pipe compared with an N/A car. So, based on that, I'd say don't do it!

Nigel

·
Registered
68 Posts
I upgraded my exaust to 2.5 inches from the header. Then put on a 20 inch cherrybomb and split the exhaust . It exits the car infront of both the tires. It's loud, it rattles the back hatch when it idles, but it revs smoother than it did before and sounds meaner than **** when opened up. Just my .02
Ant

·
Registered
905 Posts
I had a high flow cat put on with just pipe, no muffler out to the back. Stock exhaust manifold. I thought it sounded pretty **** cool. It wont run like crap and will set off car alarms in parking garages when you get on the gas. But after a few years the sound just became too much for me to want to keep it on that way. Guess I'm just getting old :) Anyway, I'd say go for it. You'll love it. It sounds awesome when you blip the gas from idle at stop. Which by the way, when idling, it is surprisingly quiet. Only when you hit the gas does the true nature of your creation come alive to scare the children and make grown men shudder at the menacing sound you have created. Besides, if it gets too loud for ya, all ya gotta do is add a muffler. No new exhaust work is necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.