Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Peeps,
just wanted to let you guys know that my dads Z was finally found at a local junk yard. Turns out that someone was hard up for cash or whatever...and they took the z to a local junk yard to cash in. Our car was crushed and no one has to pay cause this guy who stole it and took it to the yard for trash is someone they cant track. This is B*******! and now there is an investigation pending so that the cops can try to get a handle on who it was. I honestly think the person who owns the junkyard should pay for crushing a operational vehicle. It should definitley help them think twice about crushing something that doesn't belong to them. With the economy the way it is right now...you should be careful and watch your vehicles. Right before this there was a guy here in Florida picking up vehicles broke down on the side of the road. Turns out 21 people were missing their vehicles and this guy was towing them and turning them in to junkyards for money.

1986 nissan 300zx 244000
prothane bushings
reman tranny
new paint

·
Registered
573 Posts
Junk yards should be required to check the VINS against the stolen car database before crushing any car. This junk yard should be responsible for receiving stolen goods. Tell them if they don't pay you what you thought the Z was worth, you will press charges against them for being in posession of stolen property. Next time, they will ask for an ID before receiving any vehicle.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not sure but in florida i thought there was some type of law like that. i mean really how can someone jus come into your yard and take your car to be crushed and get money for it.

1986 nissan 300zx
prothane bushings
reman tranny

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I was told you HAD TO HAVE a pink slip to play the junk yard game! Norm K. (Here in "terrible" CA!) that is...

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
It's all about money. People require money, people bend rules, people accept unlawful money, people spend unlawful money, people steal from car junk yards, car junkyards steal from people.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Go to the police and press charges against the junk yard for receiving stolen goods. That will get their attention. If someone else were found with that car, they would be charged with receiving stolen goods. There is no immunity for junk yards from that charge. The junk yard not getting the name of the person who brought it to the yard does not excuse them from receiving stolen goods. They are responsible.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would:

1) take out criminal charges against the owner of the junk yard and the operator of the crusher each individually. There IS a big burden of proof, however, and they are likely to get off or very minimal punishment IF you can even PROVE they knew what was up. That is different than them knowing, and you knowing, but not having good proof,

2) take out civil actions (read: $$ MONEY $$) against both of said people as well. The burden of proof is MUCH lower, and does not have to be "beyond shadow of doubt." Find out the highest book value of the car, add all of you receipts for parts, labor, that rebuild and new paint, etc.). Here in mass, small claims is $2k and under. Over $2k is a regular civil action and requires a lawyer to file.

Before you file, you send a certified copy of your civil action application to the junk yard along with a very polite letter simply stating that you will file these civil charges unless he pays you in 5 days. If you don't get paid, you file.

3) call the newspaper. name names. get pictures of the guy, and of the front of the junk yard

4) call the attorney general in your state and tell them all about it. This guy may have other claims against him

Sorry about the wall of text

·
Registered
467 Posts
Also, if you have a free day, sit quietly in your car across the street and down a little ways. Watch. Whatevertow truck shows up the most often, whosedriver is most chummy w/everyone there MIGHT be the guy who hooked your Z. Make sure to press the owner/operator of junk yard for the documents showing which tow driver brought the car in. once you confirm that, include him in your lawsuits. Go after the companies, and the individuals

The individuals did it, but the companies are responsible for what they do when working or using company equipment.

This will allow you to go after thier business AND/ OR persnal assetts when you win a judgement

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Phone up the local area police officer within the district that the junk yard is in and tell them what Bozton said, you just have to find the right officer, not a doghnut eating power hungry fuckwit who will investigate you instead of them. LOL alot of times it happens just so that they don't have to investigate the crime.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I haven't posted for a while due to some health problems. As for the crushed Z.......don't fool yourself Mullet.....you can bet your ass that the junkyard knew what was going on. Otherwise, why would they crush a perfectly good running vehicle that was worth more in hard to come by parts? Yup......they know more then they're telling.

BTW....this is Spectre using my son's I.D. Didn't know he had changed the I.D. until I posted this message. Age sucks. LOL

·
Registered
573 Posts
It does not matter if the junkyard knew it was stolen or not. It is still receiving stolen goods and any credible company would have some paper trail to trace this back to to cover their ass. Press the charge.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Are you SURE they crushed it? I once had the "opportunity"to sign my old Camaro over to the police for them to "destroy it" (I had been kinda bad and this was an option to dismiss charges and fines galore, they said). A year later, I was driving through another, nicer town and found my car sitting in a driveway.

did you SEE your crushed car, or did they just say they crushed it?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dad said that he saw the vehicle for himself...after he told me that i didnt even want to hear anymore...it was disturbing. my Z has been in tally at my sis in law for six months while ive been overseas. im jus glad they didnt take my car...cause i wouldve probably blew the junkyard and went to jail. it sucks to work so hard for something that people just come along and take it. i did some repair and upgrades to my Z changed the timing belt and tensioner, waterpump, radiator w/hoses and i put her in storage. Outta sight outta mind is what i say. I appreciate the responses guys. i will definitley talk to my dad about pressing charges.

1986 Nissan 300zx
ultra red pearl paint, reman tranny, prothane bushing throughout, MSA exhaust, 2003 350Z wheels, 220,000

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.