ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run a stock turbo motor w/ my '77s FI and manifold(along with the turbo AFM and injectors) but I noticed there is no place on the '77 manifold for the safety pop off valve(I guess thats what they are called, its the thing that keeps the motor from over boosting). My question is, will my motor over boost and blow up with out it? Could I just use an aftermarket boost controler instead? or do I need an after market pop off valve?

Justin T
'77 280Z
'80 280ZX

· Registered
492 Posts
i'm not sure that "that" will work....(the intake part)...and i'm not sure why you'd want to do it....but if it does... i'd have a pop-off....
......i know a guy that runs an intercooled motor @ 18lbs (and has for a while) w/no probs and no pop-off......but he has an 82-83 f54 block w/p90 head (stock) and i think they were stouter than the older engines ...or @ least they had the most hp....(of that type motor)...
...i'm in the process now of intercooling my 82zxt (p90a/f54)...i'm gonna have a adjustable pop-off set @ 15-18lbs...(most people say not to go over 12 w/stock internals w/a p90/f54)....and a bunch of other stuff to keep things together.....well....
....i think you'd be much better off...w/the original intake.....but i never have heard of anyone doing or why....(of course there's a lot i havent heard of)..i'd certainly go for some (a lot) of info from some of these people that know a lot about these cars before doing it.......s

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using the '77 intake to be sure I can get 100% compatabilty with the '77 computer. I have a complete '83 turbo motor(p900a/f54) but the wiring harness apears to be shot, and my '77s motor has a really loud slapping sound so I figured I'd put them together. If it blows, it blows, I really dont have anything invested in the turbo motor so I have nothing to loose but the time I used to work on it. But, I would like for it to go nice and smooth so any help wpuld be great.

Justin T
'77 280Z
'80 280ZX

· Registered
492 Posts
justin,
..i understand....you have the same engine as i do....
.....the computers for these motors are set up for "each" type of engine.....and control/monitor.... the timing,air flow,firing of the injectors etc.....
..the turbo motor is a whole lot different than a non turbo .....and has to have a different ecu (computer)....changing the intake wont allow you to run a turbo w/a non turbo ecu......there are switches and sensors that feed info to the computer and they are different on these two motors......(a lot)....
....but....thats a good motor...and it'll make that car fly....(they started making them in '81)....what you should prbly do (there's a bunch of guys on here thats done it and know what it really takes to do it).....is buy another complete wiring harness for the turbo car and install it in the z......also look @ the differential...if the turbo car has cv axles that turn the wheels (instead of shafts w/u-joints) you'll want to use the drive train from the turbo car as well (its a lot stronger).....its a pretty big job i would think....but well worth it......
....i like the z cars much better than the zx .....but the zx had the most powerful engines and drivetrains..... someone reading this that has actually done this swap
will know a lot more than me.....maybe theyll read this and help you out on the "particulars"....and correct me if i have told you something wrong.........s

· Registered
1,784 Posts
You don't need it

Run without it. If you are using the stock wastegate without a bleeder, you have next to zero risk of overboosting. One thing you must do is install a good boost gauge, so you know if you are running too much boost.

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: You don't need it

Great, thats waht I wanted to hear! So you think I should get a boost gauge? Know any way to get a boost gauge for realy cheap? like a junkyard car that has a good one or a cheap aftermarket job or maybe even if the stock ZXT would be good enough. I dont have alot of money($11 right now buying that Z killed me) and I just wana get this thing going for now, I'll put a little money in it later.

Justin T
77 280Z
80 280ZX

· Registered
1,784 Posts
Re: You don't need it

Don't know of any junkyard gauges specifically, just find a turbo car like a starion, talon or probe that runs 15 psi (and has it labeled on the face), and get the electric sender that goes with it. I paid about $35 or $40 for an autometer boost gauge from Summit or Jegs that is mechanical and more accurate. You will get what you pay for.

· Registered
968 Posts
Re: Let me add something

If you want to use the N47 intake you will have to relocate the PCV valve because it will be right on top of the turbo. I am doing putting this intake into my ZXT motor now. Also I have a turbo wiring harness I can sell you.. let me know..
Vinh

· Registered
801 Posts
Re: Let me add something

The 75 intake doesn't have a EGR valve or all the other clutter of the turbo intake. Just a note, as for there being different sensors, the only 2 I can think of are O2 (which is for emmisions only) and a knock sensor (that always gives off false readings). A turbo ECU has know way of knowing if you are in boost or not, the turbo ECU runs fine if you pull the turbo off. The NA computer doesn't read boost either, just the increase of air being pulled in by the turbo. It works fine with the NA computer, I've done it on six different cars now, including a Max wagon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.