Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sort of a two part question.

1. How much PSI does a stock wastegate open at? I think that I saw someone on this board post that the pop-off valve opens at 7 psi, so I wouldn't think it was much more than that.

2. What kind of boost is a motor with all stock internals capable of safely running? I just installed a new turbo and the wastegate doesn't start opening until 10 or 11 PSI...is this safe? It is not intercooled at this time, so I worry that may be too high.

Also, is the MmHg to PSI conversion 51.7149 = 1? That seems about right because when I put 9 PSI from my air compressor into the boost sensor my guage read about 4 or 5 mmhg. I just want to make sure I am reading my guage right.

thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
stock boost is around 7 psi on 84-86 and a little less on 87-89. you should be fine running 11 psi but I would recommend using higher octane gas. stock internals in the vg can handle pretty high boost but without upgrading the fuel system, your limited to around 14-15 psi. at that point your stock turbo is also maxed out.

what kind of turbo did you install?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really have a choice on the boost I am running since my wastegate will not open any sooner. So I will probobly be running around 12. Also, I use 94 octane gas, that is the highest that I have available from the pump in my area. But I am glad to hear that the internals are capable of holding up to pretty high levels of boost. I do plan on upgrading the fuel system. I was thinking TT injectors and pump if they fit, because that turbo is capable of way above 14-15psi.

·
Registered
51 Posts
And I thought u guys had a cheaper way of achieving this....Anyway...so a stock turbo engine on an 88 should handle about how many psi max?

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Eleventy billion. Seriously. Depends on (but not limited to):

* engine condition - includes:
o pistons
o rods
o valves
o spark plugs
o wires
o fuel injectors
o fuel pressure
o fuel pump
o etc
* octane fuel used
* air density
* temperature (air and engine)

·
Registered
51 Posts
AZ, i tried to tell you the engine is stock. I know these items play a part on the equation. But hybrid got it. I would think, to be safe, 9 is better than the stock 6 psi. Without an intercooler, would a boost controller be all I need?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.