ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a ' 72 with SUs' and the stock air box, I'm thinking about replacing the filter with the K&N element and running a hose from the air box out the radiator support to get cool air from behind the grille, OR, putting a conical filter behind the grill and running the pipe into the (empty) stock air box. You guys' talk about how restrictive the box is, wouldn't this eliminate the problem? I really don't want to bolt duel seperate filters on the carbs because it would just be sucking hot air from the engine compartment, the exhaust manifold is right there, heat shield or not

·
Registered
625 Posts
Anyone considering buying K+N filters READ THIS!

The opening into the stock airbox is simply too small for high rpm use. Also the stock velocity stacks ARE A restriction too and wil slow the car down about 1 second 0-100. As far as the heat issue goes you can get header wrap which wil cut the under hood temperature about 70%. Here is a suggestion. Remove your entire air assembly from the carbs including the the back part bolted to the carbs and go for a short drive down an open road and you will FEEL the difference. After this short demo you will go and buy yoursef the K+N filters!! if you can get a stop watch and time it to say 0-70 and then go home put the stock filter back on and time it again. make sure the engine is fully warmed up the first time you do it so you will see that even with the header heat the power increase is present! Later,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Anyone considering buying K+N filters READ THI

I realize you're not supposed to run without filters but I was considering just that. I'm devoting tuesday to the car so I'll try it then

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.