ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know where to attain a battery that would be a match to the battery in an original 240. Even if the only similarity wasa that it had the filler holes in the top. A Yuasa would be great. Also does anyone know where the + side of the battery was supposed to be, toward the motor or under the littlte inspection lid. I know the size, but mine has a makeshit battery in it and the cables are stretched wrong and it is bothering me as you can imagine. Thanks for any help.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Size = Group 24, positive post goes under the inspection flap side. MAKE SURE you have a good hold down. The original isn't bad, but I'm working on an idea for a replacement aluminum piece that uses the factory threaded hole in firewall and original hook. The original factory frame on top sometimes allows a little slip with newer group 24 sizes and top edge shapes. Ok for street but not performance work. I JUST pass the SCCA tech and would like a firmer grip.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John, I have all the stock hardware and just need the Battery. Car is 100% stock, and no performance. I drive it like a Grandma, so it will not move. I am trying to find a Yuasa will the filler holes, any idea on where to get one??

· Registered
21 Posts
Two batteries ago, they sold me a smaller size (according to the books) then what was originally installed. On a rainey trip a week later the battery slipped out (too small) of the frame and grounded out on the body effectively melting down some wires! The original location of the positive was on the outer side - right next to the body, terrible design! I went back to the shop that I had bought the battery from and insisted on a battery that was the same size as the original - they gave me a battery that was very close to the original size, it fit well and I had them install it reversed so that the positive terminal was nearest the engine. This battery is a very common battery (but not the one in the books recommended for our Z's) it has both the top terminals and the side mount terminals on it. I think it is what they call a universal battery by Exide 843478.

· Registered
700 Posts
I dont have the stock battery in mine anymore cause last winter I could get the car to start hardly when it got below 32 degrees. Which was alot more than you would think in atlanta, georgia. I got a 990 cold cranking amps battery. But yes the positive is on the outside near the body. Bad design but oh well. Laterzzzz Mark

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Use care with side terminals....

This is where I ran into a problem. Size was ok but with a taper on the front edge of battery the original frame had a tendency to 'slip' down on the front. One day before going autoxing I checked the holddown and 'snugged' it up a bit. Everything looked fine.....BUT.. on the way to the autox site I took an exit with some BIG potholes and couldn't miss one of them. When I hit it, the ammeter pegged and everything came to a stop. I saw smoke from under the hood. I coasted to a safe place and popped the hood. The hold down frame had slipped down when I hit the pothole and arced out on the SIDE TERMINAL. Luckily the only thing that burned out was the battery (very dead) and the small ground wire from the negative side to the firewall. Having the positive under the inspection flap isn't a big problem if holddown is good. Shouldn't be a problem removing battery either if one disconnects the ground side FIRST! Don't ask...old story on an old Peugeot!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.