ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows the 1/4 mile times of the original 81-83 280zxturbos??? their top speeds or the top speeds of all original z's??? THANKS

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I was wondering if anyone knows the 1/4 mile
> times of the original 81-83 280zxturbos???
> their top speeds or the top speeds of all
> original z's??? THANKS

The fastest tested 0-60 time I have seen was for a 81 Turbo Automatic: 6.8 sec 1/4: 15.2
top speed: 129 (rev limited)

One of the slower times was for a 83 280 turbo 5 speed: 0-60: 7.9 1/4 mile: 16.1 top speed
129 mph (in 4th gear)

What shocked me was the sticker price. the 83 listed for $17,299!! Makes the 1500 I spent on mine seem well worth it.
Dave

·
Registered
529 Posts
I was just reading an old Road and Track article about the 280ZXT's. The automatic did a 15.2 and the manual did I think a 15.9. This was due to that fact that the 5-speed motors didn't have compressor bypass valves to keep the turbo spooled up. Every time you shifted, there would be turbo lag. A BOV makes a big difference on these cars. The top speed was 129.
The early 240Z's did a 17.1 w/top speed of 122.
The 280Z did low 16's but I don't know exactly or the top speed. I had a '77 280Z that had a header/exhaust, Crane ignition coil, and K&N air filter and it would do 145mph according to the speedo. I calculated the speed based upon rpm, gears, and tire size and came up with 128. That shows you how far off the factory speedo is. I trust that the tach is more accurate than the speedo. Anyway, anyone else please provide more accurate info.

Ian

> I was wondering if anyone knows the 1/4 mile
> times of the original 81-83 280zxturbos???
> their top speeds or the top speeds of all
> original z's??? THANKS

·
Registered
863 Posts
I just want to say you have a great point about the auto with a Turbo thats a good way to think about it also every dragster when I say that I mean the real ones $80K and up are autos does that point out some thing? maybe theres one stick but not that I know of. How can you shift 5 gears in 7 secs going 180 MPH? you would lose time Im not saything that you could not it would not be that hard but would slow you down

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I was just reading an old Road and Track
> article about the 280ZXT's. The automatic
> did a 15.2 and the manual did I think a
> 15.9. This was due to that fact that the
> 5-speed motors didn't have compressor bypass
> valves to keep the turbo spooled up. Every
> time you shifted, there would be turbo lag.
> A BOV makes a big difference on these cars.
> The top speed was 129.
> The early 240Z's did a 17.1 w/top speed of
> 122.
> The 280Z did low 16's but I don't know
> exactly or the top speed. I had a '77 280Z
> that had a header/exhaust, Crane ignition
> coil, and K&N air filter and it would do
> 145mph according to the speedo. I calculated
> the speed based upon rpm, gears, and tire
> size and came up with 128. That shows you
> how far off the factory speedo is. I trust
> that the tach is more accurate than the
> speedo. Anyway, anyone else please provide
> more accurate info.

> Ian

After pressing in the clutch on my 280zxt the engine continues to rev for a second or so. Does this have something o do with compressor bypass valve? It seems it helps me to keep power after shifting like the turbo doesn't have to spool up again. I bought it a few months ago and haven't changed anything.

·
Registered
529 Posts
regarding bov's

I would like everyone who has a blow off valve on their turbo Z w/the stock fuel injection:

YOU MUST PLUMB THE EXITING AIR BACK INTO THE AIR INTAKE BETWEEN THE AIR FLOW METER AND TURBO.

If you just let it dump into atmosphere, the rush of air through the air flow meter will cause a rich spike. This will cause poor drivability and could be causing the problem Leslie is having. So, make sure the dump tube of your bov is dumping between the afm and turbo. The easiest way to do this on a 280ZXT is to tee into the hose that goes to the valve cover vent. This will prevent any rich spikes. However, you will need to make sure that the hose is large enough so that you have adequate airflow. Good luck!!!

Ian.

> After pressing in the clutch on my 280zxt
> the engine continues to rev for a second or
> so. Does this have something o do with
> compressor bypass valve? It seems it helps
> me to keep power after shifting like the
> turbo doesn't have to spool up again. I
> bought it a few months ago and haven't
> changed anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.