ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am still having problems with my car. It doesn't want start when cold and backfires when the I press on the gas. I have to keep my foot on the pedal until it warms up. Once its warm its runs fine except it idles badly and sounds like it wants to die everytime you stop at a stop sign. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, rotor, and distributor cap today just to see if it would help and it didn't. I can't find any vacuum leaks. There are no codes on the ECU. I just replaced the AFM with a remanufactured one from O'Reilly Auto Parts. Could my catalytic converter possibly be clogged? Or maybe the car isn't taking to well to this new AFM.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same problem and it was the chts it is a sensor that tells the ecu if the engine is cold or warm and adjusts the car to that reading. I have an 84 ae so im not sure there the same but it sure sounds like it. good luck

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
backfireing is caused by fuel in the exhaust, you could have a leaky injector/s or fuel pressure regulator. if it's been a problem for a while theres a good chance the cat has been destroyed which could plug the exhaust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.