ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, when the car is first turned on, my z's speedo needle sticks at zero, even at 80mph. Just like in the movies, if I franticaly tap the glass on the dial, the needle jumps to life.

Is it easily fixable? I want to no before I trouble myself plumbing the depths of the dash board. I could just put up with it, but is it going to get worse?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Sounds like you need to either replace the Speedo or take it apart and give it a dash of sewing machine oil.

The speedometer is not a geared mechanism. The odometer is. The speedometer functions from the magnetic drag of the inside spinner magnetically "dragging" the needle up against the return spring pressure. Sounds as though this needle needs a dash of lubrication, since it is sticking and a "tap" (probably a thunk or a swift punch to the dash) gets it to operate for a while.

You didn't say whether this was a once a day occurrence, or only when you haven't driven the car for a while. But in either case, still sounds as though a dash of oil will do it.

By the way, if your title does show true miles and you change the speedometer, you will have to note that you did change it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup - its a daily occurance, because the zed is my supposed reliable daily driver! Okay, sounds good, thanks. Probably wouldn't matter about the odometer, as this is at least its fourth time arround the clock, as I have the origional registration which all the owners have filled out. Don't think Ill need to tamper with it anyway.

As long as Im in there, the '100mile' wheel on the trip meter dosen't go round any more - sound like a worn gear tooth? It sometimes spins when I reset the trip meter, sometimes not. Maybe I've just got 27 years of dust in there.

P.S, thanks for your former pannelbeating advice. I got the panel almost back to origional shape, then used about 1- 2 mm of filler just to get a good surface finish. Recon you've saved me aproximately US$300 - $400 in pannelbeating costs! Go the back yard mechanic!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Now you probably have an excellent reason to find a replacement speedo. The odometer wheel may or may not be a simple fix. If I recall right not only is the number wheel splined into a long shaft, but there are several little toggle thingies in there that tell the hundred to shift when the tens goes past nine etc etc.

Unless it is extremely expensive or difficult to locate a speedometer, I would opt for that and eliminate both problems.

On the 260, if I recall right, the speedometer is held in place by only a couple screws, one on the top part of the crown and one behind the dash. I believe there is also a small screw holding the trip reset as well as the collar for the speedo cable. It shouldn't take you more than 20 mins or so to swap out the unit.

Excellent news about your prior dent. Glad it saved you some money, as I see it, that's one of the main purposes of this site and others like it. The free exchange of ideas, opinions, and advice so that we can all benefit.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
You know that you need a replacement for your year and trans in most cases... One does not fit all... FYI

Z U V8ter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.