ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to put a good stereo sytem in my 240Z, but there doesn't seem to be any places to put the speakers, or at least where they can put out good sound. Where are some good places to put the speakers? What are some of your setups? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
625 Posts
> I've been wanting to put a good stereo sytem
> in my 240Z, but there doesn't seem to be any
> places to put the speakers, or at least
> where they can put out good sound. Where are
> some good places to put the speakers? What
> are some of your setups? Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
Frank motosport Auto sells rear speaker box holder it replaces the plastic panel at base of rear cargo area. norm

·
Registered
650 Posts
> greatly appreciated.

this is the setup in my 71. i have a regular head, face lift. a coustic adjustable electronic crossover splits the sounds to two amps, both 100 watts. one for highs and mids one for bass. the bass is pumped out of a bazooka bass tub. and i have two infinity mids located in the original speaker areas in the back. however, im gonna replace those with a set of boston acoustics mids and tweets so i can split the mid and tweet lines even more. the tweets will be flush mounted in the front. and a passive crossover used to split the mid and high lines.

not only is this system very effective and great sounding, but it is also very light adding vertually like weight to the car, and very cost effective.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Hey,
Mine is not great or even very good but it is ok. I have where the old jack holes behind both the seats cut 6 by 9 holes in those jack or storage areas and ran the original lines to those kenwoods then I replaced the back 5 1/2 with new one and just spliced the line to go to the back. I have small 4's under the dash angled up it is hard to explaind but it sounds good.
The holes in the jack places make it sound good even thought they are right behind the seats.

Dustin Morris

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
> Hey,
> Mine is not great or even very good but it
> is ok. I have where the old jack holes
> behind both the seats cut 6 by 9 holes in
> those jack or storage areas and ran the
> original lines to those kenwoods then I
> replaced the back 5 1/2 with new one and
> just spliced the line to go to the back. I
> have small 4's under the dash angled up it
> is hard to explaind but it sounds good.
> The holes in the jack places make it sound
> good even thought they are right behind the
> seats.

> Dustin Morris

Did a similar thing as Dustin with my 280. Originally cut holes for 6x9's behind the seats but have since purchased the Motorsport box that replaces the tail light cover panel and now run a pair of 6x9's there. The soundis better. I ran 6x9's in both places for a while but it was a bit much for the stereo. An auxilliary amplifier would have made the combination of 8 speakers total really sweet but I wasn't willing to spring the extra cash. I also installed some 4 rounds in the doors. There is a hole in the door framework between the door handle and the arm rest. Your can mount shallow mount 4 speakers there. Run the wires from just under the dash over to the front of the door and slip them under the fascia. I also continue to run the 4 that are just behind the seats under the quarter panel window. They are tied in with the door speakers.
My entire system is Pioneer. I run the Pioneer 4600 AM/FM cassette with CD stacker control that has 35 Watts/channel - 4 channel. Pioneer 4 speakers front and side and Pioneer 6x9's in the rear. I have changed the sound split so the treble is in front and the bass in rear - not side to side. I really enjoy the sound. Run the unit sound level between 15 & 18. 25 is maximum but ears and speakers give up around 22. Car won't thump like the youngsters like but the oldies surely do sound good.
Phantom

·
Registered
548 Posts
> greatly appreciated.

I have done many sterio installs in my time and this one so far and so cheap is the best one yet. I currently run 2 12 subs in the back a set of 6x9 and the stocl 5 &1/4 or what ever there are. I had the 5&1/4 take out for a while but just the other day (yesterday) i decided to change it around because the stock speakers were in perfect condition and i didn't like the 6x9s flopping around in the stock opendings that were to small. So what I did and what im still doing is I pulled off the covers for the storage bin things on both sides and just stuck the speakers in ther for now with the stock ones in the stock opening. This is ok but what i am doing is cutting a piece of light weight wood or some other cheap substance that would hold and then cutting 2 6x9 holes directly over the storage bins. Under the bins should be hollow so this would work out even better. You dont need to remove the bins but i would advise that it would be done. You can chose to do this or the other way that i used to want to do it witch was....
Go get a pair of 6x9 boxes (about 25-30 bucks dont pay more then that) sticl the 6x9s in there and just tos them all the way in the back and keep the stocks all the way around. This still would sound great and keeps you from paying a redicoulse amount for the stupid rear panel fill. Yes its a good idea for it but common anything more then 50 bucks just for 2 speakers jesus. The 6x9 boxes you wont even notice. I will start working on how to install a cheap but good sterio letter soon. Hope it helps you and who ever else sees it..

Merry Christmazzzzzz

Will Bowman Z man
come.to/izcar

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> greatly appreciated.

The only real way to acheive good sound is to have the speakers in the front. I have a 260z and it had no room up front. I rebuilt the kick panels and used fiberglass and resin to make kickpods that take up little room and sound excellent! If you are interested in learning how E-mail me and I will tell you ([email protected]). It is a long and complicated process but the efforts really pay off. Or you could get some infinity slim line speakers (less than an inch deep) and mount them in the kickpanels already there.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I put the front speakers in the doors, this requires cutting the door panels, (mine weren't in good shape to begin with. When I put my new ones in, I may try to mount them behind the panel, but will probably put them in the kick panel. In the rear I built my own box to replace the taillight panel. Its not that hard, just take a few measurements, use MDF fiberboard, and cover with auto carpet. Mine slide right in and I have it secured with screws into the original mounting tabs for the plastic cover.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Z had holes already cut in the door panels when I bought it, so I just stuck some 6.5 coax's in there. I put the amplifiers on a custom made wall between the shock towers, with the sub just behind that. I also have a CD changer behind the passenger seat and signal processor behind the driver's. I was thinking of building out the kickpanels for some 6.5 seperates, but found that to get a decent soundstage, they would interfere with the clutch pedal... still searching for a perfect solution.

> greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
> My Z had holes already cut in the door
> panels when I bought it, so I just stuck
> some 6.5 coax's in there.

Where in the door were these holes? In the bottom front corner? How much depth do you have there, and do they get in the way of the window handle?

·
Registered
804 Posts
> Where in the door were these holes? In the
> bottom front corner? How much depth do you
> have there, and do they get in the way of
> the window handle?

Just today I put some 4 1/2 Kenwood flush mount speakers in my doors. The only place I could put them was right up against the window crank. Very little clearance, but just enough. Took me a couple hours to get them in just the right spot, but they work. I couldn't tighten them all the way down to the door. There wasn't enough depth clearance to suck them up. Sounded pretty good, compared to what I had, which was nothing. Z ya

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.