ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '72 240Z and want to put a good stereo system in it (NOT ALL BASE!!!). Does anyone have any suggestions on where to put an amp, the speakers (maybe the speaker panel that replaces the back panel), and where should the stereo itself go? Do any of these parts fit in the two storage spaces behind the seats in the back?

·
Registered
715 Posts
You can cut the hole for the stock radio out to fit a standard CD player. I have the speaker panel for the back of the car, it sounds pretty good. I have things called qforms on my front doors for a component speaker set. I mounted amps behind the sseats on the little flat part where the storage bins were in the early Zs. Thats pretty much all i did, oh yeah i have a sub box that fits behind my seat and the rear shock towers. Sounds really good!

goood luck- Evan

Anyy more Q's? just ask

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to get deep 5 1/4" speakers in the lower front corners of my doors. I hate having speakers behind me, so I figured I would give it a shot. I had to cut out some of the metal from the door frame to get them far enough forward so I wouldn't hit them while using the window crank, and also had to make spacers to give me an extra 1/2" or so of depth but otherwise it went very smooth. One of these days I will buy some of those nice looking spacers that give you an extra inch, but for now I'm set.

Eventually I want a CD changer as well, but I haven't figured out where I want to put it yet. There's definitely NOT enough depth in the glove box, so I'll have to make an enclosure for it to fit behind the seat or at the very back of the car.

One thing I'm VERY glad I did before cutting into my interior was to get a set of pre-trashed door panels to play with. That way I could cut holes and experiment with placement all I wanted without fear of trashing my nice panels.

There should be enough room under the seats for your amps. Depending on the size you might be able to fit them in the little storage compartments, but with no airflow they might overheat.

The stereo itself can go in the normal spot, unless you want to put it in the glove compartment. It might fit in there, but it would be rather awkward.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Stereo question? Evan purple240 & Brian '7

Can the glove box be deepened? What about if my seats are lowered? What about if I made a special box behind the passenger seat and attached it to wall where those storage spaces are?

·
Registered
715 Posts

If you take out the glove box liner there is quite a bit of room inside. Plenty for a changer! I think it may be possible to make a box for behind your seat, but to make a good fit the only thing i can think of would be fiberglass.

Evan

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I pulled the glove box innards out, and there still isn't enough depth for a CD changer if I want to actually close the door. The stuff for the heater was back there, and I wasn't about to start pulling all of that out. Even the Panasonic charger is at least 10 inches deep. Cut up some cardboard and make a model of the changer to check for space. The Crutchfield catalog is great for checking dimensions of components.

Not knowing what you did to 'lower' your seats I can't comment on that. There should be plenty of room to mount a changer/amp behind the seat though, just make sure that amp can breathe a little. The only reason for the box is to keep the stuff hidden, carpet draped down over it would have pretty much the same effect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.