Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is how I did it (very long)

I did mine 4 times in a 1 week period (don't ask) and by #4 was getting pretty good at it. This is long because I'm a long winded sorta guy...

Most important is de-pressurize the fuel system. I unplug the fuel pump (underneath carpet behind passenger seat) and then run the engine till it dies.

Otherwise it's a time consuming, but fairly simple process to unplug the FI clips with a little screwdriver on one side and sorta wiggle them off. Make sure you label them 1-6. Then the fuel rail has some bolts onto the manifold that need removing, and you will have to remove the screws and bosch(FI style) connector on the cold start valve. Also unscrew all the injectors themselves. The fuel rail runs around to the other side of the engine bay and you will probably want to just cut the Rubber hose from the fuel filter and return line and replace with new. Make sure you mark which is supply and return on the fuel rail. If you've done it a couple of times it's obvious, but as a novice I spent a while trying to figure out which was which. Speaking of that, I took my video camera and video'ed the setup "before" I took anything apart. Just in case I ended up in the hospital for a year and then had to come back and remember how it was put together. he he. But I digress... You will want to pull the entire assembly off as a single unit. Once everything is loose, pull the cold start valve out of it's hole first, you can bend the rubber line to get it out. Then just pull and wiggle on the rail and the whole thing should slide out. Fuel remaining in the rail will pour out of the end of the rail unless you cap it off somehow.
If you are only replacing 1 injector and not cleaning the rest then it's kinda difficult to put the whole thing back on as a unit, you need lots of hands. You really should get the others cleaned to get the flow back to spec. It makes a HUGE difference. I remove all the injectors from the rail, cut the hoses and factory crimped clamp off with a cuttoff wheel (dremel will work), replace the hoses with new hose and lower clamps and then when putting it back together I place the rubber o-ring onto the injector first and then the injectors in their final location and I attach them with their screws. Then a little oil, very little, on the finger into the end of each rubber line where the rail goes helps the thing go together much easier. put the clamps onto the injectors before sliding the rail into the hoses. The rest is just putting it back together and making sure all the clamps are tight.

Email me if you want more info.

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: This is how I did it (very long)

Karl, one more note: When you remove the fuel rail mounting bracket on the front of the head, double nut the stud, and extract the stud from the head. I hate seeing these mounting lines cut with a sawzall, like we see all of the time, as people apparently get frustrated
trying to bend the fuel lines enough to get it over the stud.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.