ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lost power steering in my 1991 300zx NA. We replaced the power steering pump along with the hoses and the problem persists. The previous owner had filled it with power steering fluid rather than ATF. Any ideas of what could be the problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which fluid is correct for your vehicle? Normally it's a specific power steering fluid, not ATF.

Causes could include an O-ring or other obstruction blocking the flow of fluid, or a faulty pump. Check https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals for a service manual.
I've got the service manual for the 300zx and it does state to use Dexron type III ATF fluid rather than power steering fluid in the system. We've also replaced the O rings for the pump when replacing the pump and hoses.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've lost power steering in my 1991 300zx NA. We replaced the power steering pump along with the hoses and the problem persists. The previous owner had filled it with power steering fluid rather than ATF. Any ideas of what could be the problem?
Read this post here, good info on how to diagnose the problem:
SInce you are NA, ignore all the TT/HICAS stuff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read this post here, good info on how to diagnose the problem:
SInce you are NA, ignore all the TT/HICAS stuff
It's been solved, we replaced the pump and it didn't work but came to find out the pump, which was labeled as "new" didn't work so a second pump fixed the problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts