ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody recently had to replace their steering rack? How much did you pay for it? Also, before i replace it i was wondering if the steering rack would cause this problem: Ill be driving along and take a sharp turn, or just turn the wheel all the way in a parking lot or coming out of my driveway. This sometimes throws the toe WAY out of alignment. The steering wheel will be turned over 1/4 turn to the right while im going straight down the road, and over 20mph the front tires squeal like ****. Also, the car will turn way too easily. The way I fix it is put the car in reverse and gun the accelerator for about 3 seconds. Then the wheel will be back where it belongs (a little to the left since my alignment is off) but the toe will be perfect and the car will drive normally again. Has anybody ever had this problem? Is this my rack?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just replaced my rack a week ago on an 89. You can pay all kinds of prices but I bought one from Auto Zone for $140 exchange. No problems so far. My toe in was way out after the new installation going by the measurements on the old rack. You can get it close enough to drive by eye by just squareing it up. The only adjustment is the toe in but I'd take it to some one to check it. Changing it out your self is a pretty good job but I could do it again easily. The biggest problem is getting the old rack out and in. The line that goes to the right side of the car will not pass under the oil pan. On the old unit I simply took it off and it easily slipped out the drivers side. I was planning to do the same on the rebuilt rack but who ever had pulled it out of the old car had bent it up so bad it passed under the pan alright but was in the way of the bolt down hole on the back. I was able to bend it around to get the bolt in. Make sure you use a flare wrench and dodn't cross thread . To answer your main question, sounds like ouy need a new rack. KKing

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
my car is in the shop for taht right now, im getting the timing belt, water pump, tie rods, and steering rack replaced... my car would wobble when braking so i got under it to see the boots torm to **** and the tie rods looked terrible.. i got the rack for 140$ plus a 85$ core charge.. the mechanic is doing all the work for 200$, but i know him- i worked for him as a summer job. its not hard of you want to get under your car, even easier if you have a lift..

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought a new rebuilt rack and had it installed. Including the alignment and two tie rod ends it cost 225.00$. I'm thinking a great deal !!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
check around I bought just the inside guts for my 84 from Central which is a fairly big parts store in Melbourne....If you have a parts place that does a lot of buisness with shops in your area go to them and see if they can get you the guts...

I got the boots both sides...all hardware....and the internal connects for about 60 bucks from them....good luck
bob

·
Registered
224 Posts
actually i'm having that exact problem to the T on my 240sx. i took a peek under the car with a friend turning the wheel and its the rack shifting and cocking back and forth. my alignments all fudged. but my rack is custom mounted to so mine is gonna be a pain in the backside to fix. :)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
When a steering rack goes it usually feels really grainy when you turn the steering wheel. When mine went it was not only grainy but also felt like it was catching on something when u turned the wheel, hard to explain but it's not a very nice feeling. I also noticed that I had to turn the wheel alot more to turn corners, I didn't experience the freaky things you are at all.

·
Registered
224 Posts
man thats terrible mine also has the grainy feel to and several stiff spots too!! i guess i better get to replacing it soon. I don't have any power steering figured i'd leave it off to save some hp. i hope that isn't part of the problem...

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
No power steering? ****; dont know how u can drive period without powersteering. When my powersteering went in my Z years ago it felt like I was driving a mac truck when turning corners; got it fixed immediately.

I personally wouldnt drive a car with a broken rack, it's dangerous... It if goes entirely u could lose steering all together!

·
Registered
224 Posts
yeah i don't go far at all up to the parts store and what not maybe 3 miles round trip. no power steering in the 240 is nothing i drove my 79 malibu with no ps for about a month, now that was interesting the 240 is easy compared to that tank.

I lowered the 240 some and it seemed to tame the front end quite a bit. no toeing problem or squalling wheels now. my friend and dad think that having the rack so low is causing it to bind up when i have it lifted up to the height i want. that custom cross member is bad hits every little bump very annoying. when i lift it up it doesn't hit anything but the alignment is screwed and won't stay adjusted. lowered it hits everything but the alignment is good. i'm gonna have to find a good custom suspension and steering place to check it out for me.

Post Edited (Oct 23, 9:19pm)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.