Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Since I toasted 5th two weeks ago, I have been working on a rebuilt one. However, I don't want to replace the brass syncros with the same. I have been unable to find the part number or who carries them. And yes, I checked in the NISMO catalog, and they are not in there,(have not called yet). Anyone have good info off hand?
Thanks,
Bob Hanvey

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I had spoken with Don Potter who use to build the engines for Devendorf and Sharp. He said that NISMO carried the part many years ago, but it is no longer obtainable. However, the Porsche gearbox uses steel synchros. Don't know if it can be used.

·
Registered
482 Posts
> I had spoken with Don Potter who use to
> build the engines for Devendorf and Sharp.
> He said that NISMO carried the part many
> years ago, but it is no longer obtainable.
> However, the Porsche gearbox uses steel
> synchros. Don't know if it can be used.

My understanding:
The Porsche tranny is only similar to DIRECT DRIVE Datsun Transmissions. Direct Drive Datsun transmissions were offered for the EUROPEAN only 5spd offered in the 240/260/280, and Roadster. They were also available as Competition Transmissions via Nismo. Although the Nismo transmissions were just hybrids of the aforementioned trannies, with different gear swapping. By the way, direct drive does not necessarily mean that it is 1:1 in top gear, it is how the gear set is arranged around the input shaft that determines whether or not the transmission is called direct drive. This is the reason you can not buy gearsets from Nismo, and swap them into your 280ZX or 280Z 5spd. They won't fit. I already asked Nismo regarding this stuff some time ago, and that's what they told me.

I've been looking for a set of steel sychros with no luck. The brass ones are totally worthless, and I am hesitant to rebuild using inferior parts. Let me know if you find anything new Bob.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.