ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the stainless braided brake hoses worth putting on an occasional street-driven Z? I had heard they should only be used in racing applications. Are they worth installing on a car that only goes out about once a week and is not driven real hard?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
probably not, but I sure like mine :)
oh yea, I hear they may not be DOT approved.

·
Registered
320 Posts
hello i have them on my 71 240z and i love them they made a big difference it the peddl feel and no they are not D.O.T. approved.....michele

·
Registered
126 Posts
Worth it & D.O.T Approved!

I have put stainless brake lines on every car I have owned for the last 10 years, including just recently my 96 300ZX. If your current lines are old, you will probably notice a firmer pedal as the stainless lines don't expand when you depress the brake pedal. They have the bonus of usually being guaranteed for life. Both DOT approved and non-approved lines are available. They are exactly the same lines, but DOT requires that plastic guards be included on each end. That is the only difference. They did a segment on them on a recent Classic Cars TV show and brought in the president of a manufacturing company to explain.. I say buy them, especially if you were going to replace your old ones.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
do these steel cables replace the entire brake line from master cylinder to the calipers, etc? If not why would they make a difference?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Yes you can replace the hard lines with the teflon braided steel lines, but that is not needed. The thing to do is to replace the rubber line that goes between the caliper and the hard line. The rubber line expands under braking, so using the teflon braided lines will create a firmer pedal because they will not expand like the rubber ones.

·
Registered
416 Posts
where's good deal on hoses?

I'm going to tackle my front brakes myself and replacing the hoses were on the agenda. I only want to replace the front two right now so any ideas were I can get a good deal without having to buy all four hoses as MSA sells?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Re: where's good deal on hoses?

try fonebooth.com Mike sold me a front pair only. As well as a front pair of ground control and coil-over springs at the psi I wanted...

Z U V8ter

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Re: where's good deal on hoses?

just a question: what does DOT matter anyway? I am up in Canada, we have MTO (Ministry of Transportation - Ontario). does that just mean the the car cannot be sold with the steel lines on, that it won't pass safety check, or is it something else.??

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
www.pegasusautoracing.com

has the best prices, IMO. Go to their site and order a cataloge. I would recommend AN -3 lines. But, buy the time you gather all the parts you need to make the lines, it would be about the same cost as the MSA ones.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Mine already has hard lines

my 78 280z has factory hard lines in it, there are no rubber lines, I guess the stainless lines wouldnt do anything for my car and must be a mod for ZX'z?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Re: Mine already has hard lines

All cars have rubber lines going to the wheels -- you have to have something to flex when the suspension absorbs a bump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.