ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got the tranny all sorted out... now the damned thing wont run.

I start it up, and usually it will just barely cough out an idle, every once in a while it will idle really high and then die as soon as i hit the gas..

it kinda sounds like a vaccuum leak, but the thing ran just before i started on the tranny.

77 280Z.

It just refuses to stay running, i think my electrical system is in poor condition, but i dont have the electronic know-how to diagnose it.

any help?

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jesus, is that the best you can do?

I hate those damned posts that just say, "get a FSM, or basically, hey figure it out ypourself, cuz you're getting no help from me, i just want to look intelligent and reply, although i dont have a clue as to what may be actually wrong with the car"

I have a full service manual thank you, and it isnt telling me anything that is useful... GOD i just LOVE this board.

Note: sorry, but that just really annoys me.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
so if you a fsm...

then turn to the engine fuel section, look at the troubleshooting flow chart. Follow the directions on what to check if the engine wont start.
While you are at it, also look at the enging electrical section...
Do you have a digital multimeter? Gonna need one. If unsure how to use it, go to Radio Shack or your local library and get a book on electronics.
Oh, btw... more info is helpful on what is happening when you try to start the car.
You have been fighting this for a looong time... at one time before you started messing with the car (ie; tranny swap, ect) how was the car running? Bet you unhooked something or got wires crossed.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
You get what you put out!

Hey, he's right, get out the FSM.
I've asked on your prior posts for specific symptoms so I can further help, but you REFUSE to give anything more than vague "it don't run" symptoms.
Get out the FSM, and go, step by step, through the troubleshooting sectin and then if you can't figure it out, post here the following items:
1) What you found from the FSM tests.
2) what you did to fix anything you found bad

It DOES take some EFFORT on YOUR part to give those who WANT to help SOME sort of direction on which way to go. I refuse to spoon-feed people who should know better. If YOU can't figure it out AFTER MAKING AN EFFORT, then you can bitch about smarta$$ed comments. But from what I've read on your prior three (was it three) posts, you have NOT gone through the FSM, because you have not referenced ANY of the checks they tell you to run when the car wont start.
Without those, nobody can do anything more than guess.
if that's what you want, fine. In that case, my guess would be: "The ECU is bad, take it to the Datsun Dealer and have him check it out".

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well then.

What happens is, the car will usually start up, and either one of two things will happen, it will :
A, barely Idle, act like it isnt getting enough fuel, or like the battery is dying and the fuel control system is sputtering out.

B, Idle extremely high for about 5 seconds, and then die,

in both cases, as soon as the throttle is applied, it dies.

The car ran fine as of the same day that i started on the tranny work, the car sat for a few days because i was waiting on new flywheel bolts that never came.

I now have it al back together, and it refuses to stay running. It did rain between the last time the car ran, so i am going to check the connections on the injectors, the fuel pressure regulator, the AFM and a few other connections, clean them up with electrical spray and see what happens. that is tomorrow.
As far as not checking out the FSM, i did check it out for this problem, and my last problem, for my tranny problem, all of the checks that i did as per the manuals instruction checked out fine. And for this problem, it didnt seem to point to any of the trouble shooting items. Although it is possible i could have missed it.

i cant wait to get a V8 in here, oh holy god of the carburetor, give me chevy wiring!

sorry for snapping, but I'm not having the greatest of weeks...months...and so on. everyone gets irritable for no reason at times.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
now class open your fsm to...

The engine fuel section. Within the first 10 pages of the engine fuel section you will see a troubleshooting chart. It will have a list of symptoms and things to check. I do not have my fsm at work, so going from memory... the chart will have numbers like 1 (2,3,4), ect. 1 being the chart and the number in the ( ) being the things to check.
Also in the engine fuel section will be the tests for the TPS (called in the book, throttle valve sensor), afm, water temp sensor. Check and test those items. Everything you need to perform the tests is in the engine fuel section. Read it from start to finish. Oh, you will need a digital multimeter (voltmeter) to do the tests.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Mine Similar...

I was running on the cold start injector only. After it was warmed by the internal heater for the bypass regulator, it would not start at all.
Hook up a noid light and see if you are getting injector pulses, OR hot-wire the cold start valve so it's spraying fuel. If it stays running, you're on the way to figuring it out.
Have you checked fuel pressure at the rail yet? possibly a clogged filter or return line causing fuel pressure problems.
The troubleshooting steps give you specific things to check for on the system, and you REALLY need to have a few of those numbers to know what way to go. These are a start.
BTW, is it possible with all the jiggling and bumping around you did that you dislodged the dropping resistor to the injectors?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.