ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

starting problems

489 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rat1314 
#1 ·
I installed a new battery yesterday. Moved my car and parked it. Well today I tried to start it but I didn't start. The blinking security light came on but was dim, the ligths on the doors were on but dim..and the clock came on but that wasn't dim. Well I looked at the terminals and they don't look bad..tightend them up too. I tried to start it again tonight but still wouldn't start. When I tried it the first time today, nothing on the digital dash came up like the speeed and tach but the clock, security light and lights and door came on. After I tried it tonight. Nothing came on, so I wiggled the terminals again and tried again. The clock slowly came on but when I tried to crank it over, the clock went blank. Do you think its the alternator belt or something like that?

#2 ·
is the battery fully charged? you might have a voltage leak somewhere.. i would charge the battery and try again~ the alternator could have crapped out as well as the belt may need tightened or replaced.

#3 ·
I would imagine the battery being fully charged. I just got it yesterday. Oh, the battery on it before. It had a screw between one of the terminals and the wiring of the terminal. Do you think there is a wiring problem?

#4 ·
Oh yeh. Around the first or second time I tried starting it. The radio would turn on but I didn't hear any music, and yes I did turn it up but still no music.. Didn't even hear static or anything and I changed the stations too but nothing. So, when I tried the first time, this is what came on

-radio -but didn't play music
-security light -dim
-door lights -dim
-clock
-The gauges in the round pod thingy -dim

The last time I tried, only thing to come on..

-clock -but when attempted to crank engine, it went off

#5 ·
sounds like a dead battery............. if its new then its got to be wiring......... how do the battery wires look........ pull them off and check for corrosion..i dont mean just pull them off and look at them either, pull them off, remove the terminal and cut back the insulation. If you have corrosion more than an inch past the insulation your gunna want to invest in some new wires.... Also you should check your grounds....

#7 ·
struts were such a bitch to change. first gotta drill out those dang brackets.

#8 ·
LOL, is that what you did? I was looking at those and was like how the heck do you get this thing out. Had my dad looked at it and said you have to drill it out. So I'll do that tommorow. I wasn't sure if thats what you do though.

Also, the new struts, don't compress. How the heck do you get the to compress. I've tried pushing as hard as I can with all my wieght but didn't even budge. Anyone know?

#9 ·
lol my friend and I were having the same problem. we were like these **** thigns dont move! my struts will be stuck open. well we put them on and I pulled the hood down and all of a sudden hissss and they closed. works fine. sorta just gotta break them in a little ya know. you wont be able to compress them by yourself. thats why its a two person job.

and yes we had to drill the brackets out. but on the plus side after you do that you wont have to ever do it again becuase you can just reuse the brackets when you change the hood struts again.

#10 ·
i got a new battery for me 84n/a, didn't have mutch charge in it. put it in the car and drove it for a day and now its good. battereys slowly lose charge if they are not used for a period of time. also what sort of CCA is the battery(cold cranking amps) as mine is a 560. first thing to do is to get the battery tested, if its fine then look at faults in ya car.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.