ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I posted a discussion about where I could find the fusable relays in my car because it would not start at all. There was absolutly no sign that my car even was getting any kind of charge from the batter. Well, I went through today and pulled out all the fusable links and pushed them back in. Well, after that I decided to try jumping it again. I put the cables on and and turned the key and what do you know ... I get a glimpse of some lights on the dash. I knew something was differnt now anyways when I opened the door and the lights came on in the car. After 15 minutes of charging with the jumper cables it started. I drove around for 20 minutes, came home, and turned the car off. Just to make sure I went and tried to turn on the car again... the lights came on and quickly dimmed out on the dash and inside. I just jumped the car again... took off the jumper cables and turned the car off. It starts once without the jumper cables and by the third time, lights are slowly dimming and the fourth... nothing. Is this my alternator that won't keep my battery charged or do I need another battery? I know somebody knows what to do... Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
take a volt meter and check to see how much charge the battery has when it is running if it like 16 with it running your good, or just take the negative battery cable off while its running. most likely i say battery

·
Registered
162 Posts
Put a charger on the battery overnight and see what happens. It takes more than 15 or 20 minutes to charge a battery.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Just go buy a new battery; put it in and if it keeps doing it then you know it's your alternator :) If you dont feel like taking that risk then simply take the battery down to the gas station and get them to test it for you first. Most places have the ability to test batteries aswell as re-charge them but if one of the cells are screwed then it's time for a new one regardless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just went through a battery problem in one of my other vehicles. I did some errants around town and every stop, the battery got weaker and then I decided to go to a battery outlet. When I got there, I tried starting the vehicle, and it would'nt. They tested the battery and one cell was dead. Now, with a new one, problem solved! Get a new battery or at least, have it tested.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your help. I went the route of taking the battery off my other car and putting it in the Z. It was able to start my Z and then I took the cables off the battery leaving the car on. The alternator was good since after I took the cables off, the car was still running for like 20 minutes. I'm going to go get a battery tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.