ZCar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 240Z has a starting issue that is inconsistent, it starts sometimes at other times it clicks. The issue appears to be connected to the small wire connected to the stater.
Initially that appeared to be a bad connection. I repaired that and it worked properly for a couple of months. Then again inconsistent starting.
Is It possible it could be tied to my ignition switch?
I’ve changed batteries and staters all with the same result.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If it was your ignition switch the starter solenoid wouldn't click. You may just need to replace your solenoid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it was your ignition switch the starter solenoid wouldn't click. You may just need to replace your solenoid.
I just had a similar problem but not a Z. It was recommended to check the voltage to both the solenoid and starter to make sure it there was not a problem with wiring before replacing either.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I just had a similar problem but not a Z. It was recommended to check the voltage to both the solenoid and starter to make sure it there was not a problem with wiring before replacing either.
That's actually very possible. It's getting enough voltage to turn the solenoid but not fully. Unscrew the connectors to the starter/solenoid/battery and give them a good sanding - that might do it (if they're corroded).

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The electronic switch as well as the key assembly can wear out. Key in slot has too much runout and cant turn the worn electrical switch. Happened to me. Both worn out. I did check all the wiring and replaced what was tired. Drove me nuts.New key assy and it came with the switch and boom fires the starter right up.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Next time you get just a click, hold the key in the start position and wiggle the key up and down. Sometimes that will turn the electric portion just a tiny bit farther which will give the starter full power so it will energize. If it kicks the starter in then your ignition lock is getting worn. If you can pull the key out with the engine running that's also a good indication that your lock is getting worn and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. I can rebuild most locks on these cars. Call me for more details on that if need be. Also check the lead where it plugs into the solenoid and make sure it grips the spade terminal tightly when you push the connector onto it. If it's not tight then give it a very light crimp with a pair of regular pliers. Running a voltage check at the energizer lead isn't a bad idea like someone else mentioned but with an inconsistent problem like yours then it has to be when it's acting up. Not always an accurate test. Z man of Washington 360-668-2979

·
Registered
265 Posts
If it were me, I'd replace the cheap and easy solenoid first, checking all connections as you go.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How old is the starter? The original on in my 1980 is on its way out. I had to use the hammer trick to get the car started a couple months ago. It's been fine since, but at least it's easy to replace the starter when I go to buy a new one.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
940 Posts
How old is the starter? The original on in my 1980 is on its way out. I had to use the hammer trick to get the car started a couple months ago. It's been fine since, but at least it's easy to replace the starter when I go to buy a new one.
If you have the option locally, better to have your original starter rebuilt - and probably less expensive.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you have the option locally, better to have your original starter rebuilt - and probably less expensive.
Should I call automoative shops in the area to ask if they can perform this service? Not sure who I'd reach out to, or than to do a Google search for "Starter repair, my town"

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
940 Posts
Might try search strings like "automotive electrical repair x town" or "starter repair X town".

Shops that repair electrical accessories like starters and alternators are disappearing but there are still some around. We used to have one here in Fort Collns (pop. @150K) that rebuilt my alternator but now the closest is in Denver 60 miles away. I'd rather make that drive and keep my original starter.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
If you're mechanically inclined, you can take it apart to see if solenoid armature (core rod) is dirty (binding) occasionally. Or the brushes might be worn down or the commutator bars dirty.The wearing of brushes has to go somewhere inside. And I've seen tiny copper dust from commutators.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts