ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 240 has been sitting covered outside for a year or two and I am ready to get it back on the road. Any suggestions on what to do before starting the car are appreciated.

·
Registered
715 Posts
> My 240 has been sitting covered outside for
> a year or two and I am ready to get it back
> on the road. Any suggestions on what to do
> before starting the car are appreciated.

Did you leave gas in the car, hopefully not, change your oil and drain out old gas and put in new gas and start with a fully charged battery. A oil change would be good too. Check cap and rotor and points for corrosion too

Good luck, Evan

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can also prevent scoring of the cylinder walls by pulling each plug and squirting a bit of motor oil into each one before you attempt to crank it. She'll smoke for a bit, but it should be ok. I would change the gas filter also and make sure the coolant is up to snuff.

·
Registered
863 Posts
> You can also prevent scoring of the cylinder
> walls by pulling each plug and squirting a
> bit of motor oil into each one before you
> attempt to crank it. She'll smoke for a bit,
> but it should be ok. I would change the gas
> filter also and make sure the coolant is up
> to snuff.
If it is a manual trans, make sure the clutch isn't frozen(rusted) stuck. If you get it fired up make sure to check the brakes out completely before trying to drive!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> My 240 has been sitting covered outside for
> a year or two and I am ready to get it back
> on the road. Any suggestions on what to do
> before starting the car are appreciated.

I stored my 240 for a year at a time from 1982 to 1996, coming home from Saudi Arabia for one month per year. Heres' my experience:

If you left fuel in the carbs you may have to rebuild them, if not right away then soon as varnish will have built up in them. I learned to run mine dry and then some before putting her away.
If the gas tank was left full you should be OK but if it was only part full you may have condensation and should drain it.
Remove each spark plug and squirt engine oil (or Marvel Mystery Oil) into each cylinder. Change the oil! If nothing else, this will lube the cam, etc.
Depending on brand, your antifreeze may have coagulated and plugged up some of the radiator tubes. Drain a little of the coolant until the tops of the tubes are exposed and see if any of the visible tubes don't drain. If they don't, have it rodded/boiled etc.
Bleed your brakes until fresh fluid is in all the lines. Moisture will have built up in the cylinders and calipers and left alone will cause brake failure at some point.
If you left it sitting on the tires, they may be flat-spotted causing a thumping noise. this should go away withing a few miles. (I kept mine on stands)
Good Luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.