ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys. Been reviving a 240 that's sat around for 4-5 years. Ran good back then. I changed the oil, sprayed some fogging oil in the cylinder, and turned it over with the coil loose. All good. I pulled some fuel from the tank and it was darker than new stuff but had no water in it and smelled like gasoline. Got a few opinions and the consensus was should be fine. I tried to start the car and it would momentarily catch and then stop. Tried a couple days in a row - also pulled and brushed plugs in case the fogging oil had fouled them. Still would catch momentarily and immediately every time i turned the key but then stop within seconds. Tried again a few days later - started right up. Figured it was good. Been messing with some other stuff - changing battery, bled brakes. Thought I'd run it up the road this evening but I started it and while it was warming it abruptly stopped. Then it wouldn't start again. It was doing the momentarily catch and then immediately stop thing again. Tried for about 15 min with same result. Gave it a rest for a bit and then tried again and it started right up. Warmed it up and ran back and forth in the driveway a few times - felt pretty good, idle ok, smooth throttle. Then it abruptly died again. Started back up after a few tries so I put back in the garage before I had to push it back. :D I'm thinking its a fuel issue and I'm probably just going to have drain the tank and replace the fuel filter. Thoughts? There are probably 5-10 gallons of fuel in it. Think I could get it out using the fuel pump and turning over the starter? Probably bad for the starter? Maybe a cheap universal electric fuel pump? Pulling the plug seems like a big and potentially dangerous mess waiting to happen. Also what do you do with 5-10 gallons of "bad" gas? Thanks for any input. Hope everybody is doing well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So yesterday I went ahead and pumped all the fuel out of the tank with a hand transfer pump from Home Depot - did the trick nicely. Connected right to the tank outlet and pumped it dry. I changed the fuel filter and then put in some fresh 93 octane. Started right up - I warmed it up and then put it back up for the day . Started again today - no problem. Warmed it up and ran in the driveway for a bit. Motor feels nice and smooth. And then it just randomly died. Took a few times to get it going - then seemed fine again. And then another random shut off. I started thinking maybe something is up with fuel pump. I have some pressure gauges on the lines to the carbs and I noticed they were both basically at zero - even though the car seemed to run fine. When i shut the car off I noticed some kind of noise coming from the fuel pump. I thought maybe it was leaking air so I tightened all the screws - I could turn each one at least 1/8 to 1/4 turn so they weren't super tight. I restarted after an hour or two - no problem - fuel pressure 3-4 psi. After it warmed it up, I noticed the fuel pressure had dropped back close to zero. I felt brave so I took a test drive up to the local school Ran great until it died. Took several restarts to make it back to the house. When it ran, it was on. But then it would just cut off. Fuel pump?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man, im not quite sure what the problem seems to be. Are you interested in selling it at all? I have been dying to get my hands on a Datsun/Project Datsun.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sounds like you may need to remove the fuel tank and give it a proper cleaning. See how much junk the new filter may have caught, and possibly blow out the lines. If the tank sat for that long only partially full you might have some flaking rust or just general **** getting into your system.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,484 Posts
If there's a drain plug in that fuel tank, you should use it instead of pumping fuel out. That's much more likely to get debris out of the tank. Did you see any junk in what you pumped out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you guys. There is a drain plug. If I have to drain again I'll use that. I was trying to avoid a mess.

Here's a pic of the filter in the gas can that I pumped into. It looks pretty clean to me. Looks like a piece of plastic came out but I'm not convinced that wasn't already there. Fuel filter that came off generally looks ok. It's clear and I don't see visible particles on the filter paper. I blew through it and air passes. It takes more effort than blowing through an open straw but its not difficult.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Doesn't really sound like a fuel issue to me if it just shuts off abruptly. Unlike a fuel injected engine, I would expect your carbureted engine to act like it's just running out of gas (which it would be of course). I would think more likely ignition. Do you have a stock distributor, or perhaps a Pertronix or other ignition?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone else pointed me in that direction as well. It has a petronix ignition. I checked the connections and the connectors on the ballast resistor felt a little loose. I started the car and warmed it up and then wiggled those wires. Car died and it wouldn't start. It was doing the thing where it sounds like it wants to start and then immediately stops. Hmm. The female blade connectors on those resistor connections looked a little corroded and they were loose. Scraped the internals with a small screwdriver and then squeezed with some pliers to tighten up. Plugged them back on - nice and snug - car started right up. Ran fine in the driveway but I didn't have time for a test drive. I went and got some contact cleaner and hit them with that as well. Maybe I can get it out on the road (and hopefully back to the house) this evening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the ballast resistor connections clean and tight and it ran just fine - no cutting out. Rode around a few miles near the house and made it back no problem. Hopefully that was it. Now to figure out the squeaking noise somewhere in the drivetrain when accelerating at low speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts