ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new to the board, and was wondering if yall could help. I have a 78 Z, I've had it about 3 years, It's in pretty good shape, needs mostly cosmetic stuff, Here is the question, it's been nearly 2 years since it's been started, is there any thing I need to do before attempting to crank and run it? It was running very strong, with no hint of smoke or anything when it was parked. It has about 140'000 miles. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in Advance,

Michael C.

·
Registered
432 Posts
> Hey, I'm new to the board, and was wondering
> if yall could help. I have a 78 Z, I've had
> it about 3 years, It's in pretty good shape,
> needs mostly cosmetic stuff, Here is the
> question, it's been nearly 2 years since
> it's been started, is there any thing I need
> to do before attempting to crank and run it?
> It was running very strong, with no hint of
> smoke or anything when it was parked. It has
> about 140'000 miles. Any advice would be
> appreciated!!!

> Thanks in Advance,

> Michael C.

Welcome to the group Michael. I have a '78 also and there is nothing special about these cars and no special cautions you would need to know that you wouldn't exercise with any other car that hadn't been started in that length of time. so use the normal precautions and all should go well! let us know how it goes.

Tim '78 zt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For starters, I would drain the old gas, replace the fuel filter, flush the fuel lines and flush the cooling system. 2 year old gas has probably broken down and sedimentaion in the cooling system. Also would check the electrical connections at the sensors and injectors for corrosion and clean as needed. Let us know how it starts and have fun.
gary

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil change, coolant flush, fuel filter and MOST IMPORTANT!!! Drain the gas tank, if you see ANY flakes of rust coming out, do not, I repeat DO NOT start the car until you have flushed the gas tank, possibly, if there is much rust inside, even removed it and had it lined. Fuel is not just gasoline by itself, there are a lot of additives that separate over time and break down the fuel.

I learned the hard way (one of many, many lessons learned the very hard way while doing my restoration) that the gummy varnish from bad gas will cause intake valves to stick open, causing lash pads to fly, pistons to impinge and engines to be rebuilt.

Not trying to be the voice of doom, just the voice of experience.

Steve graber

BTW - your first tank should have a bottle of Techron additive to help clean up the fuel injectors and valves

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.