ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all z lovers! I have a 1980 280zx n/a 2+2. The last few times I have cranked it, it seems that the starter gear doesn't mesh well with the fly wheel. I can turn the key and it sounds like it is about to crank normally when the starter starts this metal hitting metal sound and then it seems to stop turning the fly wheel. I can get the engine running if I don't turn the starter long enough for this to happen, but it takes a few tries. It hasn't been very long since I had the starter rebuilt, but I haven't been running the car regularly. I was just wondering what I could do about it, and if a shot of wd40 inside the starter would do anything for it or do I just need a new starter? Thanks, Patti

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
If the rebuilder did not replace the drive gear on the end of the starter, you may need to get a new gear installed or a new starter. Over time the gear on the starter and the gear on the flywheel start to wear and eventually will not want to engage fully. Often what I have done in the past on other vehicles is just replace the starter. With the new starter there was enough gear to engage more fully. It also could be that the starter itself is not holding the gear in place. Either way you are likely looking at a starter replace/overhaul. Perhaps your overhauler will repair it for free if it has not held up for very long.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.