ZCar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering if some one could help me. I've tried to start my datsun but the starter starts spinning on the on pos. Before I ever get a chance to try and crank it to the start pos. I've tried changing the starter and it still spins.i hear a click on the passenger side but I just assume its the relay.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do I understand you to mean the the motor spins, but the solenoid does not engage?

If so, I would wonder if you have correct polarity at the starter...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I ended up getting a new starter from z car and a new ignition switch (just the switch in the back, not the whole assembly) and it keeps spinning. Could it be that I have a mess up in my wiring or there's a need to replace the whole ignition switch assembally all together?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
So why don't you give us some details?
  1. How long have you owned this car?
  2. Why did you replace the starter to begin with?
  3. Was the car starting/running fine before the starter was replaced?
  4. What other work was done on the car prior to the problem with the starter?
  5. Was the seatbelt interlock relay bypassed? Who did the wiring to bypass it, and how did they do it?
  6. Does the solenoid try to engage just by putting the key in the ON position and not passing ON to go to START?
  7. Do you know how to operate a multimeter? That could be used to diagnose your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1.) I have had the vehicle for about 2 years now

2.) I replaced the starter because it didn't stop spining while in the on pos.

3.) The starter would keep spinning when trying to start ever once in a while

4.) Only thing done on it is plugs, plug wires, coil, and distributor cap and rotor

5.) The bypass was done by a friend and they just removed the interlock switch and jumped the cable

6.) Yes, the starter solenoid engages by putting it in the on position and not passing on

7.) I have very limited knowledge but I can operate it a bit.

this is how the bypass was done

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Thank you.
It looks like the bypass was done at the emergency start button on the passenger side fender. I re-checked the wiring diagram, and I don't immediately see anything wrong with doing it that way.
From #6, we can probably eliminate the starter as the culprit. The solenoid should NOT be getting power in the ON position. This helps us eliminate a stuck solenoid. If the solenoid did not try to engage in the ON position and would only stay engaged after going to START, it would have pointed toward a stuck solenoid.

You replaced the switch on the back of the ignition switch. Thank you for posting that earlier. That would have been my suggestion.

I just took a second look at the wiring diagram. I may have found your problem. At the jumper for the relay, make sure the Yellow/black wire is jumpered to the Black/yellow wire. It looks as though from your photo (Thank you SO much for including it.) the Yellow/black is jumpered to the Blue wire. If I am right, that would be why you answered yes to #6. Jumpering the Yellow/black to the Blue wire would mean that you are providing power to the solenoid in the START and ON positions.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
And I just verified on my own 260Z. The jumper is wrong. The Black/yellow wire is on a male terminal in that connector. You definitely have the solenoid connected to power on START and ON.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks steve and all of yall that pitched in to help. I am forever grateful for all your efforts. That was the problem. Now im able to drive my datsun again. No more starting it with a screw driver :). Again, thank you all!!!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Thank you for updating. It may help another 260Z owner recognize a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts