ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on a RPS flywheel about 2 months ago and now I am getting a horrible grinding from the starter on startup. I have dropped the starter and noticed a tiny amount of metal shavings on the flywheel (this was expected) but nothing that looks like it would keep the starter and the flywheel from meshing. There is no wear on the starter either. Has anyone had problems with this? I am besides myself on what to do, the starter is only a year old, and the flywheel has only been in two months. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
How old is the starter?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
He already said. 1 year old.

How do your starter brackets look? The housing?

My mechanic said that my starter housing has a slight crack in it. I get a grinding on occasion, but most of the time it's fine. Apparently some times the torque will flex the starter and pull the gears away from each other enough for them to grind.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Ooops -- need to read more carefully.

Only advice I have is maybe to take the starter motor apart and re-lube the bendix?

PS -- I did get some grinding when my starter/inhibitor relay was starting to go bad. That's something else to try - fairly fast replace if yours hasn't been done in a long time (or ever).

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
like maxdoc said is it oem

i forgot to put this in my other post of parts ive replaced, but i had a the original starter start grinding on me, replaced it with a napa one, started grinding a month later, replaced that one with oem and have had not one problem since.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
everything is working now, i ended up putting some lube on the starter gear and works like a champ. thanks for everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.