ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like my starter died (at first it makes a loud clicking noise when I try to put the car in start, after doing it a couple of times and trying to clean the starter connections off it makes no noise).

Is there any easy way to remove those 2 bolts from the top of the car without me getting underneath?

My car has 107K, is this standard for parts to fail on cue like this? I wonder what could be next!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> It looks like my starter died (at first it
> makes a loud clicking noise when I try to
> put the car in start, after doing it a
> couple of times and trying to clean the
> starter connections off it makes no noise).

> Is there any easy way to remove those 2
> bolts from the top of the car without me
> getting underneath?

> My car has 107K, is this standard for parts
> to fail on cue like this? I wonder what
> could be next!

Before you remove the starter, try this. Where the smallest wire connects to the starter with a spade type of connector, put a jumper wire there and connect it to the positive side of the battery. Make sure it is neutral first. If the starter works then the problem is somewhere else, like in the ignit. switch.

I think it would be very difficult or impossible to get the bottom starter bolt without going underneath the car.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Starter is still good, battery weak

Took out the starter--I only had to use a long extension and deep 14 mm socket to get at both bolts from the top of the car.

The local auto parts place tested it for free and it was fine (sounded like the re-manufactured one I was going to buy for $70). I also had my battery tested--it was found to be weak.

I put the old starter back in with the freshly charged battery-and the car started up. I noticed a weird noise coming from the alternator area, which I think is the real culprit (sounds like the bearings are about to go). That'll be another afternoon job.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.