ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First disaster so far was spraying coolant all over the garage floor. ugh.

Is it anymore difficult to install the kit with the smaller pulley?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Welcome - I'm about 2/3 of the way thru this servicing too. 60k was never done by previous owner -- so I'm doing the 120k at 92k.

FYI -- Our Z engine keep on giving in terms of coolant leaking out --lots of nook and crannies in the block. I used the lid from a larger plastic storage bin as a catch basin under the car. I have the front of the car up on a few 2x8's to make servicing easier -- had to drop it back down to get rest of coolant to drain out. Stuff kept dripping for days until I did this.

Previous owner had installed an UD pulley -- came off pretty easily. Would imagine going UD vs stock in terms of installation is pretty similiar.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i remember seeing that the timing needs special adjustment with the smaller underdrive pulley, is this correct?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Nope -- everything works the same way. Only issue I've seen is some folks over on tt.net have posted that noname UD's listed on eBay may not have timing marks.

I have an Unorthadox Racing UD -- checked timing before I began the servicing and it was right on as 15 BTDC, very easy to read the marking too.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Once I had both the coolant pipes off I siphoned out a bunch of coolant using a plastic hose. That helped keep the amount that came out when I removed the water pump to a minimum.

I know that there are two drain plug/bolts to drain the block, but I decided I'd rather not break the factory seals on those.

Post Edited (Jan 29, 8:40pm)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.