Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88T btw

i searched around and found some info on vaccum issues and the like, but nothing really helpful or definitive about this problem.

if i go from about 3/4 throttle or more, and let off and ,clutch in, and brake hard, the engine will stall. It doesnt buck or misfire or anything, the revs just drop and all the dash warning lights come on.

weird problem has been intermittent but i can make it happen just about everytime i try now.

anybody who has any ideas, i would love to hear them, this is my daily driver

appreciate it!!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
a malfunctioning power brake booster is an excellent source of a huge vacuum leak. enough to stall the engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
domdogg,
the alternator seems to be charging the battery normally, what would make you think that could be the problem?

if the a test to determine if the brake booster is malfunctioning? brakes feel normal....

thanks for the quick respones guys!!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I just read a thread someplace about someone who had gone through there whole car looking for what was killing it. It ended up being the alternator. Maybe just to make yourself feel better, get it tested.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
wow...you should call that cartalk show and see if they can help. hehe

·
Registered
162 Posts
I understand that the way to check the power brake booster is to step on the brake and hold the pedal down, then start the engine. If the pedal drops a little way, the booster is functioning normally. Fast and easy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had that happen to me .check the relays IN THE FENDER by batt.
start the car and shake them. when i did that the car would stall.

i hope that helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions guys, im going to give all of them a try,
hopefully something will turn up.

when i searched it sounded like ramps or jacking the car up would be the

best way to get at the alternator, if anybody has any other tips or tricks i

would love to hear them, im going to have to take it off, get it checked and

get it back on all in one night after work!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Yep, jack that baby up. You can get to the back bolt from the top of the engine, but you're going to want to pull it out from the bottom. It took me a couple hours, but it was a $*%&#@! mess down there.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Getting the alternator out isn't too difficult. Make sure you disconnect that battery cable before you attempt to pull it out or things could get crazy.

For the most difficult bolt (which is the top rear mounting bolt) a ratchet-wrench works fantastically - it is really tight quarters. Post if you have troubles!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Car Talk. hahahaha. It's impossible to get through to that show! lol. The puzzler. I love it! Listened to that show scince I was 5. Sry, so off topic. (some1 mentioned car talk earlier)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was thinking about checking the alternator as the source of my problem...when i use any amount of brakes, from any speed, my front door speakers cut out although the head unit doesn't even blink and my subs continue playing. Weird.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ok now the door panel speakers also cut out when i let off the gas for a few seconds, like when i'm coasting in neutral up to a stoplight. Even if i don't touch the brakes. I'm thinking its the alternator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.