ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this swap. The SR20DET seems perfect for the 510 and roadsters, but might it also be a good swap for an old z? Now replacing a 6 with a 4-banger isn't something that appeals to most people, but this is a very good 4 banger. I saw an sr20det on ebay for 2000 bucks that I think came with a tranny. I also found a place that sells them for 2500 bucks including the tranny. This is really not that bad for such a high tech engine. I think they put out over 200 hp stock and also over 200lb ft of torque. One reason this swap might be good is in the handling department. The engine is shorter than a 6, so it would have more of its weight closer to the firewall, thus having maybe more rear biased wt distribution. Plus, the amount of stuff available for sr20 motors is quite astounding. Anybody else think this is a good idea?

·
Registered
567 Posts
You can find them even cheaper. it is a great swap, most pople do it on the 240sx, which weighs more than the z, i believe. i did some research a while back, and there are some cars whith these engines, running 9 sec 1/4 mile. these engines are amazing, for a 4cyl. if you have the money do it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
its a great idea...

except the oil pan has the sump up front and is made of thick aluminum to reinforce the block. If the engine would sit entirely behind the stock crossmember, this wouldnt be a problem, but mounting it would. You would probably need to extend the crossmember into a "K" member and mount the engine to that. I've wanted this swap for years, but I think a nice L28et will do it for me, unless I find out how to stuff the VQ in there....

not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just sharing what ive learned

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
Why when the RB25DET is only 1500?

You can get the front clip complete from a 93 Skyline GTX for under $200, that's the RB25DET, transmission AND ECU for under 1500$, and still have plenty of expansion availble, not to mention the GREEN aspect of it (do you believe this, I'm touting the environmental aspects of an engine-swap in the hot-rod range!)
The RB25DET is Nissan's ULEV engine, producing "only" 250HP, while exceeding many of the Ultra Low Emissions specifications. If you ask me, that is both Kickass, and responsible.
Don't get me wrong, my bud has a Pulsar GTi-R that G-Teched at almost 350HP with a SR20DET, but even HE is building his 72 240 with and RB25DET!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Ok so where do you get it?

Since I posted this topic, I too have come to the decision that an rb series engine would be better, but where in the heck do you get one. I have done some searches around the internet and haven't found much. Plus, how do you get one for only 1500 bucks? Also, if it is so cheap why don't more people do it? I would buy one of these motors in a minute if it was only 1500 bucks with all the trimmings. Hey I agree on the green aspect. Shouldn't be any problem passing 1981 emissions!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Ok so where do you get it?

If you get one make sure you get the computer as well or else it will cost you heaps for an after market one. Some importers just cut everything they can and to pull out the engine, others do it properly so watch out. Make sure you get the wiring harness too. An auto electrician should be able to hook it up.
You will also need a high pressure fuel pump and possibly a surge tank (to stop the pickup being uncovered and running the engine lean) for the fuel system.
It fits in a RHD car OK but I dont know if the brake booster gets in the way on a LHD. It shouldn't though

America is the only country where the 240SX is 2.4L
ever where else got the 2.0L turbo. something to do with reliability in the heat.

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
Soken Trading Co in L.A.

But they only deal business-to-business.
KWC also handles them. You have to be willing to wait for the shipment, and that's the price if you pick it up at their port facitliy down here in LA/Long Beach. Shipping it across the country can easily add $300 to that cost, and maybe even more if you get the whole fromt clip.
The trick is to realize that the LESS work the dismantler has to manually do, the cheaper the car part will be. My bud bought his RB25 for !500, and that was the entire front clip from a 1993 Skyline GTX forward of the tailshaft housing of the tranny. Less front seats and rims/tires. The car had 43,000 KM on it, and had all japanese paperwork still in the glovebox (yeah, the dash was there!) Basically he got engine and trans for that price, simply because all they did was pull ther front seats, front wheels, doors, and lop the A-Pillars at the dash and across the floor with a diamond cutter. He even got the front portion of the driveshaft!
Just gotta look harder...
Oh, and I know of at least half a dozen of those conversions in the works as we speak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.