ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks, kinda new to z cars (just picked mine up in July 98)and am struggling with the following problem.

I have a 1972 240Z, just had the standard (SU?) carbs rebuilt and though it runs all right for a half hour or so from a cold start (starts right up on the coldest days), it then starts to sputter real bad under acceleration and the idle is all over the place. If it is cold outside, the sputtering is not so noticeable, but when it is warm, lookout...I have to drive with the choke on.

I checked and replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pump is almost brand new and the ignition components (rotor, points, coil, wires, plugs, cap) all have less than 1000 miles on them. Timing is right on. Compression test is like 145 when cold. Motor has 98000 miles on it, doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Oh yeah, and this is probably not related to the above problem but just in case...when cruising @ 60 mph or so and then I step right on the throttle (now why would anyone do that? -heh heh), I've detected a thumping/rumbling noise that seems to come from the engine/front of tranny.

Any ideas?

thanks,
James.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.