ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 88 SS springs that much better than the 87 turbo springs? I'm trying to track down some 88 SS springs but the prices are pretty high compared to the 87 turbo springs. I looked at the spring rates for the two and noticed the front spring rate isn't that much different, off by about 10, but the rears have a big difference. Just wondering if the SS springs are really worth the money on a street car of if the 87 turbo's would be just fine. I guess the other option would be 87 turbo fronts with 88 SS rears. How would that combo fair? Lastly this is going on my 84 slick top which has a weight of 3070lbs, would my car actually sit higher due to the stiffer springs being that the 87 and 88's were heavier than my 84 slick top? Thanks

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The reason the SS's are so expensive is becuase they are the best performing springs you can get for a z31 that won't screw with your rear camber.

Yes, your 84 springs were most likely getting old and sagging. The SS's will sag less than the 87t's becuase of the their higher spring rate, so the car will sit up higher, but probably not much.

If you want a nice spring rate, and a nice drop too, "spring" (heh) for a set of ST's. only like $190 for a full set from TheSpecShop and your only problem will be dealing with negative rear camber.

The surprising thing is that if you get the st's you might acutally increase ride height becuase of having such crappy stock springs before.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well my car bottoms out when I launch, so what im gonna try is using some 2 drop springs which are stiffer and im gonna use 1 3/4 inch spring spacers that goes on the bottom of the spring. I found some off a jeep that fit my car nice on ebay. That way I have a way stiffer spring and dont have to worry about camber cause im only dropping a 1/4 inch. I had some 2 inch drop springs laying around,so im gonna try em out with spacers I hope it helps my launch. So if your looking for stiffer springs im not sure which ones are stiffer but I think that it is a cheaper way. the spacers were $38 made from poly.

Post Edited (Sep 19, 11:40pm)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
If you want to really go all out and create a drag Z, get some air bag helper springs from TSS. I remember someone else had them in their Z, and it eliminated all squatting.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Is it the kind where you put the bag inside the spring? and then air them up too how you want them. Yeh I would love to have my z launch hard rather than squatting 2 feet. Wonder how much they are ill have too check into that thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
88 your back end will drop on launch even with 88SS springs. I have a SS.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well if anybody else was wanting some air bags the bags that will fit our springs here is the part #80753 $66 dollars you can buy them from summit racing.com there called air lift 1000's. They told me that my car will probably launch alot better. The guy was telling me to put the air bag in only one spring and I was trying to tell him you cannot do that on IRS suspesion it was cause all kinds of problems finally he got my drift.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have mentioned this earlier but I'm not looking to lower my Z at all. First off I don't want it any lower and second I don't want to deal with the camber issues. I've always thought about getting the SS springs but gave up on it when I heard they were discontinued but now I have the chance to get some brand new ones so I started thinking again. Thats when I thought about the weight difference and it making my car sit up higher. My 84 definetly isn't sagging due to age. While it's old it only has 82k original on it and hasn't really been drivin to hard or over bad bumpy roads. I've measured ride height and spring specs before and everything is still with in spec. So basicly I need to make sure that what ever spring I go to won't raise the car up. Problem is I have one of the lightest Z31's made so thats going to be an issue with stiffer springs. Thats another reason I was looking at the 87 turbo springs. Besides being much cheaper they aren't as stiff so maybe ride height won't be affected. Any other thoughts on this as to how it will affect ride height? Also again whats a better performance combo: all 87's, all SS's, or 87's in front with SS's in back? Thanks

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
well if you dont decide to buy them or after you buy your SS springs why dont you share where they are so other people can get them too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.