ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will adding lowering springs require any suspension modifications or affect steering?
Are there any good suggestions for stiffer lowering springs other than the ones I've seen in the Victoria British or Motorsport catalogues? I am looking for a good spring and strut for a good price. Thanks.

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
> Will adding lowering springs require any
> suspension modifications or affect steering?

Funny that you'd ask. :) This seems like the biggest question for Z cars ever. I just asked it a few weeks ago. :)

The answer is, yes, lowering with springs will have some affects on the way the car handles. (Including steering.) Some people insist that it's not noticable, and you don't have to do any mods to make things come out right, and other people say that the mods are so many and the gain so little that you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

I don't know who to believe. I haven't done this myself (totally stock '72 Z), but I'm in the restoration process and when I get to that part I'll have to decide.

Some people say that lowering the Z that way causes it to have lots of bump-steer. Motorsport sells little spacers that go in the front suspension to correct for the problem by altering the camber adjustment. (If I remember right)

> Are there any good suggestions for stiffer
> lowering springs other than the ones I've
> seen in the Victoria British or Motorsport
> catalogues?

Those two places are about it, as far as I know.

> I am looking for a good spring
> and strut for a good price.

Well, you have to define what you mean by good. Some people want comfortable, reasonable, long-life springs. Some people would rather have jarring, boogie-boogie racing springs.

I think most of the springs are about $100 each.

-rr

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
>I have only had my 280Z 2+2 for one year and it allready looked low, becouse of the 14x60x6.5 wheels. So when I bought a set of EIBACH pro kit the car went down 1.5 inches. now I am looking for 16's to go higher. I will replace the struts
very soon with TOKICO's (the traditional combo).
But in the spring deffence the ride is much better
(I don't mind the bump steer).

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
hi scott
well i just replaced my springs with the eibach pro kit and replaced my shocks with kybs gas adjust shocks and replaced the struts with kyb also..the ride is great...good handleing and cornering...i guess i just have to let the springs settle to get the car looking low..well what i did was call around all the performance stores around my area(bay area) and found springs to run from 200-250 not installed...i only know of 3 companies that carry these springs: motorsports, eibach, and suspension techniques...so just use your yellow pages and call around..hope this helps
kvn

·
Registered
26 Posts
> Will adding lowering springs require any
> suspension modifications or affect steering?
> Are there any good suggestions for stiffer
> lowering springs other than the ones I've
> seen in the Victoria British or Motorsport
> catalogues? I am looking for a good spring
> and strut for a good price. Thanks.
Call RD Enterprisefor whatever spring and strut combo you want at the lowest prices. www.shox.com
They have very small ads in the back of Turbo magazine, sport compact, and super street, and grassroots motorsports.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.