ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody get that Sport Z magazine offered at Z31.com and is it worth a dang?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I've been getting it since their first issue. It depends on what you mean by "worth a ****." If you mean a nicely done mag on all things Z to keep you occupied then Yes. If you mean something that has specific how to's on Z31 stuff then No. They try to spread out the content evenly between all the Z models but that doesn't mean that the part on Z31's that issue is going to be a tech article. Best thing to do is check ebay for older issues you might be able to get for cheap or just pick up a current issue. See if you like it and if you do buy it. There is a lot of good info in there but nothing you wouldn't find here in the message boards. In fact for the older Z's like the Z31 most of the stuff contributed is from members of zcar.com or z31.com. Still I've found that several times I've pulled out old issues to look up something that was previously mentioned for a current project I'm doing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sport Z magazine covers more 350 Z than anything else. They usually dedicate about two pages on the z31 in each issue. I have had a subscription with them since it first came out. I am thinking about not renewing due to the lack of z31 coverage

·
Registered
782 Posts
I paid for 2 years worth, and I received my first issue this month and I must say for only coming out with a magazine every three months there really thin, plus most cars in there really dont put down any horsepower, In the most recent issue anyways. The power there getting out of the vq engine in the 350z is really crappy, in most of the blower/turbo setups. There may be some better ones that came out before I got this issue.

Post Edited (Mar 15, 12:53am)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Considering its the ONLY magazine dedicated to the Z .. it's pretty good. Yes, it caters to the z33 crowd .. but then, thats where the greatest growth (hence $$) potential is, eh??

I also paid for a 2 year subscription .. and recently acquired the 1st 3 issues to complete the collection.

I'll admit to being biased .. my z31 has been featured (a surprise to me) in the magazine ..

They are always looking for "submissions" .. send something in ..

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Someone mentioned the low hp ratings of the VQ and that there has to be people out there with more. Have you even been keeping up with the info thats been coming out about the VQ? In stock form the VQ in the 350z won't support more than 300hp due to the fuel system running it. That is the biggest problem with the 350z. Anyone running more than 300hp is asking to blow the engine. It was in the last issue of Sport Z. That is why you don't see too many high hp VQ motors. I believe the internals can handle up to 350 but no more but right now it's the fuel system that is holding it back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is Sport Z worth a dang? Hmm. I might not be the right guy to ask...

In all seriousness, there are usually 2-4 pages devoted solely to the Z31 (e.g., in our Spring issue we featured a GT-R infused 300ZX, a letter from an SS owner, and two Z memories from Z31 owners--about 3.5 pages total). But we have a number of articles that span all generations of Z cars, like our very popular Performance Driving series (basically a "how-to" in driving your Z at the limit). Or we'll have coverage of aftermarket products that can be used on any Z, or event coverage that includes every generation.

Yes, the 350Z gets more coverage. Yes, if you have a specific technical Z31 issue, the web will probably have the answer if you dig deep enough. That said, we offer a money-back guarantee and only one person in five years has taken us up on that offer. So I'd say give us a shot.

Lastly, Z31 owners: WRITE ME. Send in ideas for articles, feature cars, shootouts, whatever. We're all ears at SZM. I'd like to make our Z31 coverage even better, and to do that we need your input. Thanks.

Dave Bexfield
Editor, Sport Z Magazine
www.sportzmagazine.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
its funny how the Zs engine went from being the powerhouse motor of its day (Z31 & Z32) designed from the beginning to be able to handle much more HP than stock form to the stretched to the limit motor from the factory of today. youd think with todays tuner crowd that nissan wouldve continued to over-engineer its engine for people who wanted to mod the heck out of their cars.

as far as Sport Z, I have a subscription pretty much just cuz I like collecting everything about my car that I can, including magazines. they feature Z31s in there every once in awhile, and I browse through the magazine for a hour or two before putting it on my bookshelf. I found the bushing replacement article for the Z31 very interesting.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sport z editor there are some people here making alot of power, im sure there is somebody who would want them in sport z, my car probably makes 450rwhp right now but its not sport z material because of the little dent in my passanger fender. I think it would be cool if there were some posters in the mags too.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
300zx86t wrote:

> Sport z editor there are some people here making alot of power,
> im sure there is somebody who would want them in sport z, my
> car probably makes 450rwhp right now but its not sport z
> material because of the little dent in my passanger fender. I
> think it would be cool if there were some posters in the mags
> too.
>

Don't let a few cosmetic blemishes dissuade you from offering up your car for submission. My car isn't perfect, but it did capture the centerfold last summer. And there are a number of older cars that aren't "show worthy" either that make the pages.

btw: I have every issue from issue 1. I have at least 2 of most issues (up to 3 issues ago). And I just resubscribed for 3 years.

Post Edited (Mar 15, 1:29pm)

·
Registered
918 Posts
AZ_ZBum: ... "Don't let a few cosmetic blemishes dissuade you from offering up your car for submission. My car isn't perfect, but it did capture the centerfold last summer. And there are a number of older cars that aren't "show worthy" either that make the pages."...

Hey .. don't let AZ-ZBum kid you .. his Z is really nice ... but he is "right-on-the-mark" .. you don't need a trailer queen to make it in the magazine. Check out the Summer 2004 edition (for AZ_ZBum's car)

Go check out the Fall 2004 edition (my car) .. if that doen't convice you (my car) that you don't need to produce high HP or have a trailer queen then nothing will ...

Sport Z is the one magazine that does what it says it'll do. Send in pics, material (articles, etc...) and chances are they'll print it ...

I know I'll be renewing .. whether or not my car shows up in there again .. LOL!

·
Registered
621 Posts
In the next issue we have a write up on a guy who lives in Florida and owns a Z31 putting out anywhere from 500 to 600+ hp depending on boost. He will be the first to tell you that his car is far from being a looker. But that's not the reason the car is making it into the magazine.

I rode in his car a couple of weeks ago, and to date, it's the fastest Z31 I have ever been in. How did he get into the magazine? He sent us a picture and something about his car.

And to the person that said the magazine is thin, we might not have as many pages as some of the other magazine.But our ad to editoral ratio is a lot better than 50/50. And all magazines have to start somewhere. I remember when Grassroots was starting out and they wern't that much bigger and look where they are today.

Our goal is try try and have something for every generation. I can't remember the last time I saw any kind of write up on a Z31 in a major publication. Just to give you an idea of what we have covered I looked at 9 issues ( I have 9 others I could ad to this list) in front of me and found these articles devoted to the Z31. This does not include centerfold cars, Z Sightings/Readers Rides and cross over articles.

1) Readers picks for Best Z31 Mods
2) 200ZR Z31 and followup article
3) Small article on a SuperCharged Z31
4) 1986 300ZX Turbocharged drag car
5) A How-to on installing a fuel pressure gauge (granted, not the toughest, but a how-to all the same).
6) Feature on a Z31 putting out 577hp
7) A 87 300ZX NA with mods and autox'd
8) Article on a V8 powered Z31
9) Article on a 84 300ZXT
10) A How-to on adding an intercooler in a Z31
11) An article on 3 Z31 Budget Mods for Under $100
12) A comparo article on 4 1988 300ZX SS's

Just in the small amount of time I spent to see some of what we have done, I see 4 cars that put out over 500hp.

Now I can go and probably buy ten magazines from the past 6 months off the newsstand and I would be lucky to find 5 write ups in all of them combined. Granted, we can't be everything to everybody, but we try to have something for everyone.

All I ever ask is if you want to defend or dump (it's your right to do either) on the magazine just make sure you are giving out the correct info.

I hope this helps Ze X driver in making his decision.

Post Edited (Mar 15, 3:10pm)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
speaking of which...isnt there a new one supposed to be out about now? I dont remember receiving one for a long time. did anyone recently get a new issue?

·
Registered
621 Posts
The Spring 2005 issue went in the mail on March 1st. It can take the USPS anywhere from 4 days to 4 weeks to deliver the magazine. We have no control over how fast they deliver it. If you don't see it by the end of next week email me directly and we'll send out another copy. My guess is you should see it anytime now.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mabey ill send some pictures sometime, I have 13"inch wide tires in the back with weld draglite rims other than the dent my car looks pretty good.

·
Registered
621 Posts
That dent has been mentioned about 4 times alraedy in this post. It's starting to scare me. lol

·
Registered
621 Posts
Oh, and there is an easy way to hide the dent, take a picture of the car where the dent isn't. lol

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
it depends, if you only like to read andlearn about Z31's then you wouldn't like the magazine very much, I've been getting it since the third issue, it's got a lof of info, it's mainly about 350's and now there is a little section about G35's or what ever that infiniti Z is, but what do you expect, thats the HOT thing right now, 8 out of 10 people don't know what a 300zx from 84-89 look like!!!
you'll find something about a Z31 every now and then, NOT ENOUGH thats for **** sure

I'd like to get my car in that magazine someday but it's a Z31 so probably they don't want it in there anyways :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Whooa your right 3 times I mentioned it I promise ill stop, anyways rock on and in the mean time ill be fixing a dent:}

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.