ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my friends the wife said go ahead and order your stuff. Question is..... Should I paint the front and rear spoilers before or after mounting on my Z. Seems like before would be proper. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have been called A-retentive about this, but if I want the best quality job, I paint everything separately. Not only can you get the best finish, it's a lot easier on your bod than having to get down on your knees to paint a spoiler. Plus you can generally eliminate much more dust and dirt by painting off the car.

Two caveats: 1) Don't paint different parts at different times (like the doors in spring and hood in summer), particularly with metallics, as you may be able to see slight differences in color, shade or gloss. I have no idea why this is, particuarly if the paint is out of the same **** can, but it's a fact. 2) There is the unfortunately huge possibility that you will scratch the paint putting the pieces together. I have friends who cut little washers out of plastic milk cartons to put in between newly painted parts. I've never tried it, but plan to next time I paint.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good to me.. I want to paint myself as I painted cars a million years ago and have most of the equipment... Will see. Have to wait for warm weather.. Thanks..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.