ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my car was making rumbleing noise from the rear end. I took it to my local shop and was told it was the spider gears in the differental. Is this a common problem. The price of the repair is going to be $1000.00 am I being taken advatage for being a woman or is this a fair price? Thank You

Lisa

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would definitely check around. To let you know, the whole differential used only costs from $75 to $125, for the WHOLE thing!!! Another hour or two to put it in brings a mechic to about $250-$300. I have never heard of the spider gears going bad, even with a very modified engine. I would definitely get a second or even third opinion. Personally, if I did not know a good mechanic, I would take it to Nissan, but I do all my work myself. Post where you are and maybe there is a club around which has someone who might be nice enough to look at it for you.
Good luck.
Joshua L.

Also, what year of car is it, with or without automatic? 2+2?

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> I would definitely check around. To let you
> know, the whole differential used only costs
> from $75 to $125, for the WHOLE thing!!!
> Another hour or two to put it in brings a
> mechic to about $250-$300. I have never
> heard of the spider gears going bad, even
> with a very modified engine. I would
> definitely get a second or even third
> opinion. Personally, if I did not know a
> good mechanic, I would take it to Nissan,
> but I do all my work myself. Post where you
> are and maybe there is a club around which
> has someone who might be nice enough to look
> at it for you.
> Good luck.
> Joshua L.
Thank you Joshua your very sweet. The year of the car is 1982 and is an automatic 2 seater. the noise sounds awful. do you think there is more to it than the spider gears?
> Also, what year of car is it, with or
> without automatic? 2+2?

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> Thank you Joshua your very sweet. The year
> of the car is 1982 and is an automatic 2
> seater. the noise sounds awful. do you think
> there is more to it than the spider gears?
Lisa, call me at 1-800-533-5659, or e-mail me, and I'll be glad to help. We have lots of these differentials, and will make you a fair deal.
thanks, Joe

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would do this take a friend that knows some the basic of the car when you talk to the the place where your going to get it fix. This is what happen to my sister. She went to a micanic. And told her engine was bad cracked block but infact it was the wrong oil filter. So now My sister work on her own car.

If you are like most people that dont know cars You might be had. And if it fishy to you then it might be. Here another idea get a chilton's guide (8846) 52800 this one has most of every thing and take it with u when you go to the micanic. Look up what they think it is and go ok and try a diffent place and see what they say.
I have the micanic tell me the price of the part and the price of Laber per hour. Then call the auto store and ask them what the price of the part is. Labor should be around $40 to $50 a hour. They have to go by set rules. of the state.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wher are you located, and no I am not trying to get a date;) Nothing against All Z East, but those things weigh a lot and shipping may kill you. I would look for one local to you if possible, these cars are a dime a dozen. I am not sure of the National Z car Club web address, but I will look and if you give me your location I will try to find a club nearby. Get a second opinion though. Call Joe at All Z East also, I think he is in Washington State, but I can not be positive. He will give you a price range that is reasonable. About $75-$125 local here in New Mexico.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Spider Gears ..U joint??

No No No

The U-joints are commonly refered to as spider Joint

On 79-83ZX the drive shafts are non- repair
able.... I think Motor Sports Or British Victoria
Carries them ... Whole Shaft Approx 200
Nissian wants Like 6 hundred
P-200 rear don't go bad very often
If the virbration is bad at low speed but improves
at high speed it the Drive Shaft... Most
Auto recyler have them for $75 to $ 100 Takes about 15 mintutes to remove and put in.
The Other Possiblity is The Spider Joints in the Half Shaft... Generally You feel a or Hear a
Rough noise like flat spot in your tire..
These ate Replacable approx $20 a joint if
you do One Do both Sides ... Half Shafts

There is no Spider Gear in the Rear End !!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: Spider Gears ..U joint??

Are you saying that the rear end dont have spider gears? I am sorry to say they have, in fact, I broke both of them in my Z and wasted the whole diff cause the debris got into the crown gear.

CarlosZXt

> No No No

> The U-joints are commonly refered to as
> spider Joint

> On 79-83ZX the drive shafts are non- repair
> able.... I think Motor Sports Or British
> Victoria
> Carries them ... Whole Shaft Approx 200
> Nissian wants Like 6 hundred
> P-200 rear don't go bad very often
> If the virbration is bad at low speed but
> improves
> at high speed it the Drive Shaft... Most
> Auto recyler have them for $75 to $ 100
> Takes about 15 mintutes to remove and put
> in.
> The Other Possiblity is The Spider Joints in
> the Half Shaft... Generally You feel a or
> Hear a
> Rough noise like flat spot in your tire..
> These ate Replacable approx $20 a joint if
> you do One Do both Sides ... Half Shafts

> There is no Spider Gear in the Rear End !!!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
SPIDER GEARS are found in DIFF ONLY!!!!!

> The U-joints are commonly refered to as
> spider Joint

Sorry to inform you, but that is not a common way to refer to a u-joint. U-Joints are just that, u-joints, they are NEVER referred to as spider gears or spider joints. They are occasionally referred to as Universals, but that's it. Maybe outside the US things are different, like bonnet is to hood and tyre is to tire, but I wouldn't know. I only know the US version.

GEARS AND JOINTS are two VERY DIFFERENT THINGS. This is why they are referred to with such different names. Imagine telling someone you needed you're spiders replaced, and they replaced your differential!!!
Welding up spider gears is a common way to create a locked differential. You don't weld up u-joints or 'spider joints' to do this. The spider gears are located in the differential ONLY. They are referred to as either the side gear or spider gear, but never spider joint.

> On 79-83ZX the drive shafts are non- repair
> able.... I think Motor Sports Or British
> Victoria
> Carries them ... Whole Shaft Approx 200
> Nissian wants Like 6 hundred
> P-200 rear don't go bad very often
> If the virbration is bad at low speed but
> improves
> at high speed it the Drive Shaft... Most
> Auto recyler have them for $75 to $ 100
> Takes about 15 mintutes to remove and put
> in.
> The Other Possiblity is The Spider Joints (THIS SHOULD READ U-JOINTS) in
> the Half Shaft... Generally You feel a or
> Hear a
> Rough noise like flat spot in your tire..
> These ate Replacable approx $20 a joint if
> you do One Do both Sides ... Half Shafts

This information is correct, but you need to substitute spider joint with u-joint.

> There is no Spider Gear in the Rear End !!!!

Yes there is, that is how the you turn the wheels!! Differentials have been made with spider gears for a long long long time. The spider gears transmit the turning motion of the driveshaft (X-axis) into turning motion for the wheels (Y-axis). Ever hear of people breaking spider gears?? They are talking about the diff, not the driveshaft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.