ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what has to be done to swap out the 85mph speedo for the 130mph speedo from a '79ZX? I know the current unit has a sensor that the computer uses, and I am not sure about what kind of connection to the tranny to make it indicate the correct speed. My car is an '82 Turbo with a 5spd man. Thanks!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> Does anyone know what has to be done to swap
> out the 85mph speedo for the 130mph speedo
> from a '79ZX? I know the current unit has a
> sensor that the computer uses, and I am not
> sure about what kind of connection to the
> tranny to make it indicate the correct
> speed. My car is an '82 Turbo with a 5spd
> man. Thanks!!
I had the digital dash and trashed it in favor of the 79 130mph speedo. I had to splice wires and change the connectors over. took awhile but everything matched up. same color wires for both years. I had a few wires left over but they just powered the digital dash. If you have the analog dash, all you need to do is swap it. Real easy. nothing else to worry about. If you want step by step here goes.
1 pull horn fuse
2 pull off horn cover (has Z emblem on it)
3 use 22mm socket to remove nut that holds on the steering wheel and pull off steering wheel. I didnt need a wheel puller.
4 remove the upper and lower plastic pieces. there is a bunch of screws holding this together
5 pull off wiper/turn signal assembly
6 take off plastic cover below steering wheel
7 do some acrobatics and get under the dash to find the speedometer cable. about 6-8 inches from the rear of the assembly, you disconnect the cable.
8 4 screws hold the gauge assembly in place. 2 on top & 2 on bottom. after taking out these 4 screws and disconnecting the speedo cable the assembly will come out. you may have to use a flat screwdriver to pry the top of dash over the clips the screws went into. The dash wont come out all the way because of the connectors. Reach in and disconnect them. Now gauges will come out completly. Order new bulbs before doing this and replace them when you take out the assembly. If you have the digital dash, you will need to order some green bulb covers as well. Cant have an orange dash and green gauges in the side gauges. Kinda clashes. The main connector on the back of the assemnbly looks like a gatling gun. If you have digital dash you must splice your harness into the wires going into the connector. the digital dash has a different connector and will not just plug in like the analog. After I switched mine over, my main gas gauge was about 1/4 off, but the secondary gauge worked fine. It has something to do with the sending unit. There was about 6 different ones during the 280ZX model run. I chose to leave it alone. You cant just change the speedo part of the gauges, you have to swap the entire gauge assembly. This is really an easy thing to do, It just may be kind of intimidating at first because of the amount of dismantling of the dash you have to do. I could probably do it in less than an hour if it was an analog to analog swap. All you need to do this is a 22mm socket, phillips and flat screwdriver. Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I didn't read all Marks, but I would concur it is very easy. I did not pull of my steering wheel, just undid the bolts holding the colunm and dropped it down. You need small hands to unplug all the wires behind there! If you have cruise control, make sure your new speedo has it too.

Contact Joe at All Z East for the parts if you don't have 'em already.

It took me about 20 - 30 minutes the second time.

Have Fun,

rbest

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.