ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a '71 240 with a 5-speed.(I am guessing from a 280) The only # I have for the tranny is "L-8" on the underside. I am within a couple of tenths from overall stock wheel diameter,and I have the stock differential, so my question is: How do I go about finding the correct calibrated speedo cable, and do I need to get a different speedometer to fit that cable on. I narrowly escaped getting a ticket for 71 mph in a 55 mph zone yesterday, so any help would be great.

Thanks, Evander

· Registered
254 Posts
The tranny that you have does not make a differance in what your speedometer reads it is the rear diff. that you need to be concerned with. You should try to find out what your rear diff. ratio is and then get the correct speedo gear to install into your transmission. There are some calculators out there that can tell you how fast you are traveling at a given rpm with trans (whatever) and diff. (whatever) which will allow you to try to determine what is correct from the drivers seat rather than pulling things apart. (it helps to have someone with a good speedo in anouther car to help you set a referance speed to rpm point).

I have an excel spreadsheet that I wrote that will help you out on this and I will send it to your email. If anyone else would like a copy of this spreadsheet please send me an email.

Miles 260/240

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.