ZCar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Iam quite familiar with Oregon standards since my whole family from there cept my oldest and youngest brother. Last time we drove the coast my mom pointed out all the speed traps that are dotted from Astoria to Tillomook and they been using these as long as she had her license. To back it up at almost every spot sat a supa trooper radar gun in one hand and eying the waffle hut lady billboard with the other.

Washington keeps buying the troopers new toys that they really don't need such as Mustangs, Chargers, Nitros, and F-250 Super duties and a fleet of suburbans. They never specified same BS different story.

"We need them to catch criminals DUH!!!!!!!!!"

Next thing they want the police lambo with the fire paint job and Vida Guerra always posing on the hood.

·
Registered
163 Posts
On today's roads you have to give people idiot room. Idiot room is excessive space between you and the car in front. In this country we share our roads with young, old, stupid and anything in between. The key word is SHARE and if more people remembered this the road would be a far safer place. As for the Bryant Park area of 95 through Richmond Va you would be challenged to drive close to 55 mph. The interstate is 6 lanes banked sweeping curves that makes 75 mph fell like 35 mph. I have yet to drive through the area with out seeing a car (out of state) getting a ticket. Way back before the interstate route 1 was the main path up and down the east coast and the Richmond Va area was famous for it's speed traps. The more things change the more they stay the same.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just came back from west Texas where it is posted 80mph on the Interstate. My 2 concerns were all the deer being hit in the morning and the short 25 mph off ramps that you really press on the brakes when someone says bathroom AT THE LAST MINUTE. The wind was rough sometimes even passing the truckers at that speed. It felt like I was Nascar drafting.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
jim90z said:
I just came back from west Texas where it is posted 80mph on the Interstate. My 2 concerns were all the deer being hit in the morning and the short 25 mph off ramps that you really press on the brakes when someone says bathroom AT THE LAST MINUTE. The wind was rough sometimes even passing the truckers at that speed. It felt like I was Nascar drafting.
This goes to another thoughtless argument people who argue against higher posted speed limits. "Oh if you post it that high people will just drive faster." It denies the realization in my firs post which is that in traffic engineering there is a thing such as a freeway's "Natural Speed"---it is where 85% of the people will drive.

As this gent realizes, when you speed up, AVERAGE DRIVERS will become uncomfortable. THIS LIMITS THEIR SPEED. If the speed limit is set for the 85% of drivers and the speed they drive....THEN PEOPLE SPEEDING WILL BE IN NEED OF CORRECTION (though arguably drivers driving SLOWER than the speed limit are a BIGGER problem than SPEEDERS!) It limits the useless process of B.S. speed enforcement, freeing up police time for REAL crimes which need attention.

If the limit is set to 80, they WILL NOT all drive above the limit like they do now. Frankly 85-90 in that part of the world is easily doable and likely I would not drive much faster than that. Not in the stock 260 anyway. Now a ZO6 Vette......

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I think I remember reading an article about Montana's "Reasonable and Prudent" experiment a while back. With no speed limit during daylight hours, traffic averaged around eighty, but less than 85. Now, I've never been to Montana (I'd like to), but I've heard that it's sparcely populated. Yes, I can see where that could work. Out in the middle of nowhere, on a interstate highway, yeah drive like you own it. And people mention the autobahn in Germany, again with no speed limit. BUT, aren't the driving tests over in Germany just a bit more demanding than in the US? With more strict enforcement of that "slower traffic keep left" thing that everyone b*tches about? And, aren't German autobahns engineered a bit better than US highways? And, I saw an article where autobahns are starting to back up, just like US interstates do at rush hour. (Lol, you don't need a speed limit if your sitting still, jammed in traffic.) Finally, the most efficient enforcement of traffic speed was on the loop around Atlanta. I forget the agency, but they let traffic go at it's normal flow (which was NOT the posted speed limit.) They just culled the rabbit-a**es.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I got news, before 73, MOST of the western states were 'reasonable and prudent'---it was with federal strongarm tactics that a national speed limit of 55MPH was FORCED upon them!

IT MADE NO SENSE! (oh we will save gas, when everybody is driving cars that get 8mpg....brilliant deduction!)

At the same time, there were things that also failed, like price controls on meats and other staples...

But that national speed limit thing took (literally) and act of congress to repeal! States should set the speed limits, not a central government.

Driving in Montana? Been there, done that. Passed a cop at 106mph. It was a wonderful feeling as I realized there were no repercussions for driving in a sane manner consistent with the conditions (icy snow covered road in February.)

Nevada had no speed limit... they do now, but on isolated sections of highway, you don't get looked at if you aren't cracking triple-digits.

In a place like Montana (and this is was Nor'Easterners have the hardest time to grasp, those national speed limit loving 'drive 55ers') it can take you four hours to cross the state end-to-end...or it can take you EIGHT hours to cross the state.

I'd prefer 4, thankyouverymuch. Same for Nebraska and most of South Dakota. Frankly, from the Mississippi river to the rockies if you aren't speeding, you're on Thorazine. Talk about a BORING monotonous trip! Flat, flat, and MORE FLAT!

"Rabbit Asses" are IMO more congruent with 'unsignalled lane changers, weavers, tailgaters, and those who drive without consideration for their fellow travellers'...If the speeder is doing that, then bust him for that, and speeding as well. But if you got a guy chugging along in the fast lane at 5 under and the flow is 15 over....I'd say pull him over and check him out as well. And while you're at it, TICKET HIM AS WELL! Obstruction is far more deadly than moving cleanly thorough traffic with proper distancing and signal usage. If people would stay out of the fast (passing) lane, there likely would be less weavers as well...

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Tony said:
if you aren't speeding, you're on Thorazine. Talk about a BORING monotonous trip! Flat, flat, and MORE FLAT!
Try contemplating suicide.....

I made that trip too many times to keep on loving it, though my dad and I spend it talking it or I try to sleep part of it off but its imposable.

Last time was worth it, I saw a cute flagger girl my age where we had this smile and wave deal going on while my dad was arguing with the Board of Tourism/DOT for the county as they wanted us to do a +4hr detour with "Please stop here and take a break" marks added to these ghost towns.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Cooprdog said:
I love to drive fast though I don't often stray into criminal territory on public roadways..but I'll hit 95 on a regular (traffic moves @ 80 mph in SoCal.) But I have a few reasons why I know that I'm always paying attention when I'm over the limit:

1) I drive a stick and I looove to rev-match...so there's really no way to text without pulling over.

2) My exhaust is loud... you can barely hear the stereo at full song and won't ever hear you phone if it rings.

3) The tach and speedo are the only place my eyes go other than the road.

4) Four point harness - I can barely reach the stereo controls...passenger seat, glove box and hatch are completely off limits.

5) Lightened flywheel... if I'm not paying attention.. I'm stallin' it...or spinning them.

6) Quick steering knuckles and 225/50/16's...the steering is heavy so you don't let the car wander.

7) The only thing worse than crashing in my Z and dying would be crashing in my Z and not dying

8) The only way to speed and not get tickets is to pay attention constantly.

9) I really like to drive. It's not a chore or something that I like to take my mind off of. Driving around with the radio off and listening to my car as I put it through the paces is my idea of a good time. What is better than sighting proper lines through a turn and feeling physics at work?

And lastly...nearly every time I decide to push the envelope I ask myself ..."is today the day I wreck my Z?" I think they should make exemptions for those of us that take driving seriously.
Sounds like you're justifying driving like an idiot and having gotten away with it.

Loud exhaust? Put a muffler on. Others don't want to hear your your intrusive crap. It is akin to ghetto blasters thumping & rattling cheap cracked speakers while at the gas station.

Lightened flywheel, 4 point harness, steering knuckles, BFD. No one cares except you.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Junkman said:
Sounds like you're justifying driving like an idiot and having gotten away with it.

Loud exhaust? Put a muffler on. Others don't want to hear your your intrusive crap. It is akin to ghetto blasters thumping & rattling cheap cracked speakers while at the gas station.

Lightened flywheel, 4 point harness, steering knuckles, BFD. No one cares except you.
Sounds like someone is trolling.
I personally HATE the new MSA exhaust as I CAN NOT place my glasspack on it to keep it quiet. I had the choice of dissecting an all original 260Z to take the stock exhaust manifold off of it to replace the one that broke from the flange on the exhaust bottoming/catching...so headers were the compromise. Had to put blankets and all sort of heat sheilding on it, and the result was what I would consider a LOUD EXHAUST. FAR louder than the old MSA unit. So I guess I'm an arsehole for admitting I don't like the exhaust but don't really have the time to change it...It's got a muffler. A brand-new goddamned muffler, and it's FREAKIN' LOUD!

As for your second trolling attempt, you obviously have never driven a Z set up for performance. It is something you HAVE to pay attention to, there is no TIME to divert your attention to these other pursuits. And if you have EVER been in a car with proper four-point harnesses (They were an option on the Z, as were those quicksteer knuckles...so he could be describing a STOCK car in some markets...) you realize you can't reach a lot of stuff, you just don't even try.

Troll Attempt by Junkman:

FAIL!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
We were driving in the right lane when suddenly a black car jumped out
of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his
brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches!

The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My
taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was
REALLY friendly.
So I asked, 'Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car
and sent us to the hospital!' This is when my taxi driver taught me
what I now call, 'The Law of the Garbage Truck.'
He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around
full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of
disappointment.
As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes
they'll dump it on you. Don't take it personally. Just smile, wave,
wish them well, and move on. Don't take their garbage and spread it to
other people at work, at home, or on the streets.
The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks
take over their day. Life's too short to wake up in the morning with
regrets, so ..... Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the
ones who don't.
Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!
Have a blessed, garbage-free day!

__._,_.___

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
WOW MAN!

That was so touchi feely I almost had the big O -

I'd just rather unload a clip of .40 S&W at them. In Texas we got a reputation to uphold. (written with tongue firmly in cheeck)

As long as they keep making Bourbon and Cymbalta - it's all good.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Driving at lower speeds leads to inattention.

In my 72 Camaro I got 15mpg at 55...17mpg at 70.

My radio has bluetooth, so yes I can talk and still drive. But one day I'm going across the bridge and see this woman talking thru a headset...but her hands were off the wheel as she was using both hands to express herself during her conversation.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Oh crap, here we go again.... Supermoderator to argue how it's impossible to get better mileage going faster in 3...2...1...

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
If you get better mileage at a faster speed (assuming not lugging which you wouldn't be at 55mph), then you're either pig rich at the slower speed and/or crazy lean at the higher speed. I.e., something's *bad* wrong.

Show me the test data is all I've got to say. Interwebz car forums are rife with claims of people getting better mileage at higher speeds, but of course the interwebz is a fantastic resource for information, it's just that a lot if it isn't remotely true!

Urban legend, often repeated, and utter bunk.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Didn't Mythbusters do something on this? They showed if you dimple your car like a golf ball it will give better (slightly) mileage due to less wind resistance.

I know they did the pickup truck tailgate up or down myth. Wind vortex on that one.

21 - 40 of 212 Posts