ZCar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/1/federal-speed-traps/?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4de7d6c0ca2aad46%2C0

Interesting comments by a traffic engineer conducting studies---seems some people here with 'statistical familiarity' wanted to dispute me saying these things, perhaps you can argue with him now!

To Wit:

"J.J. Bahen Jr., a consulting traffic engineer for the National Motorists Association, says police make things more hazardous when they exploit areas with serious engineering defects. Mr. Bahen conducted a survey of a favorite speed-trap location, a 55-mph stretch of I-95 near Bryan Park in Richmond, and concluded that the speed limit was posted too far below the prevailing 69 mph flow. “The safest movement of traffic is for all traffic to travel at about the same speed,” he told The Washington Times. “This can only occur when speed limits are posted at the natural speed of the highway. Underposted speed zones actually increase crash rates because they cause some drivers to drive below the natural speed of the highway.

"Government agencies perpetuate the myth that “speed kills” to keep this highway robbery alive. In recent years, however, accident rates have plunged as roads have gotten faster. Virginia Gov. Robert F. McDonnell made it a priority to have the Old Dominion’s rural interstates posted at 70 mph. Texas and Utah have set certain routes at 80 mph. Nationwide, the road fatality rate is at its lowest point ever. Speed alone demonstrably does not kill. It’s time to put an end to this misuse of federal money in the name of highway safety."

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I would have no problem with saying "speed is not an issue" if the people speeding were not distracted by cellphones, music, conversation or just not f*cking paying attention to the fact that they are, in fact, driving a car. I live in a state that does not allow county sheriff's departments to use radar. So, we do things the old fashioned way: ride behind someone and clock their mileage with a speedometer (and a GPS, but that's just back-up). "I wasn't paying attention" is the excuse that EVERYONE uses when I point out the fact that they missed seeing me in broad daylight. And not just a few miles per hour over. Uh-uh. Twenty, thirty, even forty over the limit. (Can you say 65 in a 25?) Yeah, jacking with people in traffic may be bullsh*t, but in my opinion, most people aren't attentive enough to handle the posted speed limits.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That really needs to be changed.. Music fine, Don't sing along to it at the top of your lungs and get into it.. But most everything else just has to go.. Ever wonder why some Foreign cars don't have cup holders? because driving is in it's self it's own activity..

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I've been hearing rumors they'll up the speed limits around the interstate. Realistically speaking those highways routinely handle 75mph around the city areas and 90mph elsewhere. I get passed in the Jeep like I'm standing still. In the right lane. Where an SUV belongs.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
If they're really good drivers (paying full attention to the road), driving fast is an option. But if the faster speed is because everybody is in a daily rush (key word is rush) because they always have too may things to do in too little time, then I can't believe their minds are fully on their driving, and even less on the driving when you throw in the texting, cell phone use, looking at papers held on the steering wheel or console. I love (sic) riding behind a chick on the cell phone with the other hand waving in the air once in a while or catching up at the next red light to the guy who zig-zagged from lane to lane to pass me and everybody else (not Insterstate, but the same mentality). And then floors it from one light to the next

As Tony says, speed alone doesn't kill. Unless that damned buck decides to play chicken and cross the road.

·
Registered
446 Posts
As a rule I Focus solely on driving.. Had too many close calls on the motorcycle and have even been in an accident because of my own Negligence to pay complete attention.. So from now On it's at least 98.9% attention on the road..

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I keep at an average of 55-60mph heading either way on the 50 zones. But when I go on those all my close calls where with people who fear curves and just unfamiliar or inexperienced or just giblet heads followed by a troglodyte in a cement pumper who got some on my windshield. But those are the actual rare ones the REAL danger I run into is the elderly. They drive Big RV's at a pace where I can pass them redlining a GEM with the control of a terrified new driver.

I'd be going at speed and they will stop on blind corners to take goddamn pictures of Elk while I have to make a delicate maneuver around them. Maybe next time I will check on them to see if they are in need of aid and if not then a state trooper would be satisfied on a talk on WHY TO NOT PARK ON A BLIND CURVE! I mean I was **** lucky that day I had a chip hauler behind me and a log truck oncoming lucky no one wrecked.

I was raised to pay attention to the road and instruments I don't know why its that difficult to realize "Hey Iam going 30 in a 75 zone better pick up the pace!"

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think the issue is that there is too much going on in most cars for people to really drive fast and be in control. Pop up nav screens, DVD players, Games systems, refridgerated center consoles. Add to that self parking cars, cars that tell you when you are drifting out of your lane or even ones that stop the car FOR you when you're about to get inot an accident. I think it all started with power steering...but I digress.

I love to drive fast though I don't often stray into criminal territory on public roadways..but I'll hit 95 on a regular (traffic moves @ 80 mph in SoCal.) But I have a few reasons why I know that I'm always paying attention when I'm over the limit:

1) I drive a stick and I looove to rev-match...so there's really no way to text without pulling over.

2) My exhaust is loud... you can barely hear the stereo at full song and won't ever hear you phone if it rings.

3) The tach and speedo are the only place my eyes go other than the road.

4) Four point harness - I can barely reach the stereo controls...passenger seat, glove box and hatch are completely off limits.

5) Lightened flywheel... if I'm not paying attention.. I'm stallin' it...or spinning them.

6) Quick steering knuckles and 225/50/16's...the steering is heavy so you don't let the car wander.

7) The only thing worse than crashing in my Z and dying would be crashing in my Z and not dying

8) The only way to speed and not get tickets is to pay attention constantly.

9) I really like to drive. It's not a chore or something that I like to take my mind off of. Driving around with the radio off and listening to my car as I put it through the paces is my idea of a good time. What is better than sighting proper lines through a turn and feeling physics at work?

And lastly...nearly every time I decide to push the envelope I ask myself ..."is today the day I wreck my Z?" I think they should make exemptions for those of us that take driving seriously.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rednekz, I take it from your post that you are a cop. I hate to say it but, the reason you get excuses like that are because you are a cop and 99% of people just spit out an excuse because cops make most people nervous. Everyone that I know that speeds, does it consciously, or they have missed a sign. Lets face it we have all done it. Anyway this is not a stab I appreciate what cops do for us.

I think the biggest problem with driving on any highway in the US is people will hog the passing lane so they can't be passed which ticks me off to no end. When i lived in Germany driving the autobahn was the most pleasant thing, people dont drive in the passing lane they pass. I saw some pretty nice supercars while traveling around, problem is you just don't get to look at them very long. Me driving along at like 140MPH (thinking i am king Dingaling)check my mirror, so i can pass another Bimmer then I see it blinking brights then they are gone, passed like your not even moving(by the way someone in the passing lane blinking their lights means get the fug out of my way I am going faster than you). The thing of it is they take a real driving course that is equal to a college class, and their licsense is very expensive so they tend to respect the rules of the road alot more.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last time I got pulled over the cop said I was speeding (going too fast for conditions)---he asked me what the **** was in my head when I passed him "Didn't I see him"?

I looked him in the eye and said: "I saw you, that's why I changed lanes. You were going 5 mph below the speed limit in the #1 lane and figured nobody would pass you I guess."

He really seemed offended that I passed him! There was serious 'respect' issues with the guy (Michigan State Trooper)---he says "You wouldn't pass CHP out in California like that would you?"

My answer: "Actually, I would, they always camp in the slow lane in a pack of idiots who think they will get a ticket if the pass them. I go by at 75 in a 65 and there's not a problem. There are plenty of idiots out there going FAR faster than me weaving and forcing the issue."

It went on until he realized I was from FAR up north in Michigan, and MAYBE JUST MAYBE I wasn't intimidated by the weather conditions, knew how to drive in it, and that I only LIVE in California. He was seriously on the ticket track until I told him I'd driven from my parents place 9 hours north of where I was and knowing that what I CAME THROUGH to get to the little snow flurries 20 minutes from the Detroit Airport...it was like driving the desert in the summer---it wasn't CRAP!

It sure as **** wasn't 45mph in the fast lane snow... I drove THROUGH that to get where I was!

If someone is on a cel phone, SPEED is not the cause---INATTENTION was. I'm with #2, 3, 5, & 9 on the Cooprdog list. When I drive, I DRIVE.

And know what? I can carry on a celphone conversation while I'm driving. My speed doesn't drop 20mph and I don't start weaving in the lane. Conversation is nothing requiring attention. I'm not in discussion with Andrea Merkel on nuke positioning for NATO premptive strikes 99.999% of the time on the phone. People who DO have those conversations have drivers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I know this will offend some people.. But my answer to the old person doing 20MPH below the limit and what not is to Make a reflex, and motor skills test mandatory every so often like when one renews their license. And every so often make a road test mandatory to renew like every other time or something like that.. True It'd just be a pain in the a** and true it would inconvenience a lot of people, and also true for the fact of it isn't an issue for many people.. But I believe that those changes would help to get quite a few of the people who cannot in fact drive off the road..

·
Registered
641 Posts
I sometimes do talk on the phone while driving, but I will only do so with a head set or other hands free device. In many states that's SUPPOSED to be the law. But more often than not, I just drive. I know what you're getting at on passing a cop. I passed one early one morning in a 45 zone. She was right on the aspirin of a car and I drove by locked on 45. Once I cleared her and the other car, she lit me up. She asked me what I thought I was doing passing her. I told her, "I went past you at 45 in this 45 zone. I would never pass an officer speeding." She said, "Well.... get your speedometer checked!!!!" And off I went.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the Arizona Plan: License you get and pay for is issued to age 65.
After that, you do another test. And if you have tickets or reasons to be reviewed they call you in.

This issuing every five years is bullshite. Statistically, I'm betting there is a damned good reason Arizona did what they did! I'm betting in most states this would be a good course of action and free up DMV personnel from makework license reissue to a guy with no tickets every five years taking a test with minutiae on it which reflects nothing of actual driving skill or knowledge ... but looks like a great justification for at LEAST three lumps of state-paid doughnut-munching tax-draining overhead. And if you need a 'driving test' for some reason, another TWO lumps of SPDMTDO...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Tony said:
I like the Arizona Plan: License you get and pay for is issued to age 65.
After that, you do another test. And if you have tickets or reasons to be reviewed they call you in.

This issuing every five years is bullshite. Statistically, I'm betting there is a damned good reason Arizona did what they did! I'm betting in most states this would be a good course of action and free up DMV personnel from makework license reissue to a guy with no tickets every five years taking a test with minutiae on it which reflects nothing of actual driving skill or knowledge ... but looks like a great justification for at LEAST three lumps of state-paid doughnut-munching tax-draining overhead. And if you need a 'driving test' for some reason, another TWO lumps of SPDMTDO...
When i moved here in 2000,the expiration date on my new Az. license read 2025.Speed does not kill-morons kill.

·
Registered
446 Posts
As far as the new licensing every 5 years i think it's partially for funding, and partially to keep the info on the card current.. Like the picture and what not.. and yeah thinking about it and proved by some of the HS kids i know, the test really does nothing towards proving much.. Perhaps it could be changed to a "real" driving situation... and as far as the speed/ fuel thing goes.. Excessive speed will eat your gas (90+ mph) your car uses a lot more gas on acceleration than on just maintaining a speed..

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I just like the idea of having people get an endorsement for RV's they can't drive them like a normal vehicle then why bother going the distance of getting a land yacht to begin with!? Yet they are on the same civil license as Cars and non commercial use Trucks. At least with a bob tail your just driving an over sized pickup truck and you got most space to see.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Try living in Oregon.
All the speed limits are much lower than they need to be. There are some areas in which the speed is so slow I swear they posted it just to piss people off.
Cops LOVE to speed trap. In fact, I have two friends who are cops who admit they cannot 'sell' anything in court BUT speeding tickets (not excluding similar types of tickets).
To add, the mouth breathing liberals who have overrun this state, do nothing but sit right at -to 5mph under- the suggested speed... The above makes this that much more frustrating.
If anyone should see a cop, a mandatory 5mph-under-zone is unofficially instituted around the police officer.
We recently passed a hands-free-only law. You have no idea how many people have cut me off, etc, while on the cell phone since. WTB tickets for them?
/sigh

Obviously the issue is NOT the speed, it is the people speeding.
Our law enforcement, and country, is way too focussed on issues that DO NOT MATTER and could care less about resolving REAL issues. (I do not buy their excuses or yours; thus there is no need to post either.)

1 - 20 of 212 Posts