ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the spark Gap to use while using a hotter coil such as MSD? And should you retard the advance on an 83 280zx? Thanks,Kip

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Generally gap is determined by about of spark and advance. It is kinda like this. The wider the gap the more spark it takes to fire across it and in turn it takes a longer time to fire the spark across the gap. Now for the more important question. Why do all this. About the only time you need More Fire is under high compression environments, or when running cheap fuel. If you have no mods to speak of, I.E. shaved heads, pistons, crank, rods, or cam... Leave the timing and gap alone. Nissan did a great job developing this. More fire is not a bad thing though!!! You WILL see a increase in performance by adding a larger coil. More fire will be hotter, and allows you to LIGHT 'Er UP quick. Just make sure you use BOSCH Plat. plugs gap to specks. Then plug it in. After it is installed check your timing and roll with it.

Hope it helps, Let us know!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
sorry to dissagree about spark plugs

Bosh platinums are NOT that great, in fact they are not better than the cheap NGK.
and better still they are NOT better than the 4 electrode used on the Turbo II's
BUR6EQ (or something like that)and better still with an MSD or any spark amplifier

Stay with NGK

CarlosZXT

> Generally gap is determined by about of
> spark and advance. It is kinda like this.
> The wider the gap the more spark it takes to
> fire across it and in turn it takes a longer
> time to fire the spark across
> the gap. Now for the more important
> question. Why do all this. About the only
> time you need More Fire is under
> high compression environments, or when
> running cheap fuel. If you have no mods to
> speak of, I.E. shaved heads, pistons, crank,
> rods, or cam... Leave the timing and gap
> alone. Nissan did a great job developing
> this. More fire is not a bad thing though!!!
> You WILL see a increase in performance by
> adding a larger coil. More fire will be
> hotter, and allows you to LIGHT 'Er UP
> quick. Just make sure you use BOSCH Plat.
> plugs gap to specks. Then plug it in. After
> it is installed check your timing and roll
> with it.

> Hope it helps, Let us know!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: sorry to dissagree about spark plugs

I responded to a e-mail from Kip concerning this same issue. I have little to no experience about NKG. I do have experience with Bosch, Autolite, Splitfire, and other Store Buyable units. I have no disparagement against NGR.. I feel that it is good advice to promote long life, reliable plugs. I know that 90% of plugs are crap, Bosch Plats are in the upper 10%... May be not the best of them, but they are good plugs at a good price.. I am going to be replacing my plugs soon, what would you recommend. And where can I get them. :)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

I also do not care for any plat. plugs. They are good for long life but they don't conduct very well and they are not a performance plug. You want to use copper or silver plugs and if you want to pay a lot for a real nice plug try torque master plugs, you can find them on the web. They cost around 12.00 per plug but they work better than any plug I've seen. They don't use a electrode like normal plugs, they have a gap of around .109 or something like that that's not adjustable. They are a unique plug and work very good. I am trying them out on a 280Z and it has shown a noticable difference on steep uphill grades. With these setups it also takes out the time of indexing plugs, they have a better exposed spark to the combustion which is one reason they work better among other improvments. I also put them into a oil burning 240Z that with normanl plugs I had to take out and clean and don't have to with these plugs so far. If it wasn't for the price I think these would be a lot more popular but it is hard to fork out 12.00 per plug. But I recomend them to anyone who likes to try something new.

> I responded to a e-mail from Kip concerning
> this same issue. I have little to no
> experience about NKG. I do have experience
> with Bosch, Autolite, Splitfire, and other
> Store Buyable units. I have no
> disparagement against NGR.. I feel that it
> is good advice to promote long life,
> reliable plugs. I know that 90% of plugs are
> crap, Bosch Plats are in the upper 10%...
> May be not the best of them, but they are
> good plugs at a good price.. I am going to
> be replacing my plugs soon, what would you
> recommend. And where can I get them. :)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

I can definitely recommend AGAINST split fire plugs. I put some on a 91 240SX I used to own and the car misfired, backfired and lost about 10 mpg. I'm sure the idea is good but their quality control isn't.

btw. I had a 91 300TT and I ordered the racing NGK plugs from Stillen thinking they were 25/set. Turned out they were 25/ea. and didn't make a noticeable difference!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.