ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved a used computer for my 83 NA but when I plug it in and the case touches the body it will spark like the computer has a short to the case. Does the 83 use the case to find its 12 volt ground? is this normal?

Charles

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Not Normal...

I don't quite understand what's happening with your system. But that is defiantly not normal, I have pulled my computer and laid it on the carpet and moved back to the location for it and it's never done that before.
Donna

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
You are NEVER, NEVER and EVER supposed to disconnect or reconnect any connection to the ECU with the negative terminal of the battery connected to the battery.

The sparking is normal if the battery is still connected. If you continue to get a spark with the negative battery terminal disconnected you have a very serious problem.

You will eventually destroy your ECU if this continues.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
147 Posts
the ecu is internally grounded. I have replaced lots of ecus just to test them (more than 10), not none of them will give a spark when their housing is grounded. It does not matter whatsoever if the battery cables are connected or not. Your ecu is shorted internally most likely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.