Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

When I bought my Z it had Crane Cams XR700 electronic ignition installed. (it still does). It also has spark plug wires that read Crane Cams.

Is there anything special about these wires? They're pretty old and I want to put new ones on it, but I'd rather put regular old wires on if it doesn't make any difference. If there is a difference, can I buy some other kind of wire? I'd rather not mess with mail-order just to keep them saying Crane Cams. :)

Thanks a ton!
-rr

·
Registered
680 Posts
> Hey!

> When I bought my Z it had Crane Cams XR700
> electronic ignition installed. (it still
> does). It also has spark plug wires that
> read Crane Cams.

> Is there anything special about these wires?
> They're pretty old and I want to put new
> ones on it, but I'd rather put regular old
> wires on if it doesn't make any difference.
> If there is a difference, can I buy some
> other kind of wire? I'd rather not mess with
> mail-order just to keep them saying
> Crane Cams. :)

> Thanks a ton!
> -rr
> .

Did you take it to a auto store and ask there.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Most likely they're not that special.

I don't think there's anything too special about them. Probably just 7mm wires. If you want stock style replacements, get the NGK wires ($25). They are a good quality and fit. These are the best wires for basic upgrade/stock applications.

If you want something a little beefier, to handle the added spark a little better, I would recommend Magnecor 8.5mm wires. These are also very well built, although a little pricy ($75+). I plan on getting these in the near future. I'm currently running a pertronix igniter and MSD-6A amplifier with MSD Blaster 2 coil. I think this provides a little more spark than the NGK wires can adequately handle. Besides, they are getting a little old, and I'd like to give the Magnecor a try.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Re: spark plug wires - 30K ohms or less?

My Nissan Service Manual says to do a resistance test on the wire/cap combination. If the total combined resistance is 30,000 ohms or less on each wire/cap point they are good to go. I'd do that before replacing them plus you can check your macho index rating by running your hand along the wires while the engine is running to see if the insulation is breaking down anywhere. If theresistance levels are OK and they don't light you up I'd just leave them alone ans spend my money on something else.
Phantom.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: spark plug wires - 30K ohms or less?

> My Nissan Service Manual says to do a
> resistance test on the wire/cap combination.
> If the total combined resistance is 30,000
> ohms or less on each wire/cap point they are
> good to go. I'd do that before replacing
> them plus you can check your macho index
> rating by running your hand along the wires
> while the engine is running to see if the
> insulation is breaking down anywhere. If
> theresistance levels are OK and they don't
> light you up I'd just leave them alone ans
> spend my money on something else.
> Phantom.
This is true, or the magnecor's are a great choice along with a couple other wires like the 8.5mm MSD wires (just buy a chevy set and have 2 spares they'll all reach, plus they're usually cheaper if you buy em for an american car at a speedshop) I've been running em for about a year with no complaints about them (and they look pretty cool too). Stay away from the Accel wires though, they are pure junk. (look at the types of places that sell them if you doubt me) Also, stay away from Nology wires, they're a friggin scam. If you're looking for stock replacements though and haven't messed with your ignition system at all, it's pointless to buy them, stick with a good quality oem replacement style wire if that's the case. I have an xr700 too, along with an msd 6a and a blaster 2 coil, works nicely though I'm pondering switching to the pertronix trigger as I'm not terribly impressed with the crane one (it works but I just think the components for the kit are sh*t quality) (and as always this is my not so humble opinion.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.