ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started changing my spark plugs at 6:30pm last night, I did #2, #4, #6 first because they would be the most difficult since the intake and throttle body was in the way, but it wan't that hard and got the 3 done in roughly an hour (first time changing spark plugs) then I did #1 and #5 next, and they were no problem. Then I took off the 10mm bolt that held the wireing to the intake manafold and it drops right into the hole where the #3 spark plugs is. So i say, no biggy, atleast it didn't drop right into the block since I havn't taken out the spark plug yet. But after trying to fish it out with a pair of needle nose pliers it get's wedged between the metal and the spark plug. So I spent the next 4 or so hours trying to fish it out, I even solderd an alen key to the end of a screw driver, but to no luck. Finally I used a small magnet and fished it out. Finally I could replace the spark plug, so I did and life was fine again. Got out of my garage at 2:00 am though so yeah, I was pretty tired today.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Amen, I've been there. Also the wonderful guys at advance auto gave me these horrible wires that you had to grip halfway down the boot and then push on. That didn't work at all and I ahd to go back and order the Beck/Arney wires. But in the end it was worth it.

1985 300zx n/a digital

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome to the wonderfull world of the 300zx, vg30. I have been doing this since 1985 and still ask why! Obviously, previous comments should lead to one conclusion, which is well advised, the length of the boots is most critical in installing these wires. The more you work with your Z, the sooner you will find that there are few short cuts, just wise decisions based on previous experience. One word of advice, search a wrecking yard for the Nissan plug wrench. Everything else works; but the one that comes with the vehicle will always save time and money. It just lines up properly with the collector componets and "grips the plug" with no loss of contact.

Happy Zn, your car is your avocation!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Gotta love those little magnets on the end of a retracting rod (sort of like a car aerial).
I retrieved a 10mm socket from the valley of my motor which the previous maintainer apparently had abandoned, and you can't have too many 10mm sockets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its to late for you to do it since your done but its a good idea after you've pulled the boot off the plug to use a vacume cleaner to pull all the sand and trash out that accumulates in the well around the plugs,BEFORE you pull the plug. High pressure air works well too. KKing

·
Registered
875 Posts
And NEVER forget to use anti-sieze compound on the new plug threads too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.