ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a spare wheel that fits the existing '72 spare tire well.
My car has dual ventilated disc brakes all around and the current wheel and tire are wheel: 16x7.0 4X114.3 bolt pattern. The tire is a 205/55 R16. The overall diameter of this combination is 632mm (24.44") and 205mm section width.

The spare tire well will accept anything up to 165mm section width, so I figure the spare should be- wheel: 15x6.5, 4x114.3 (or 15x6.0, 15x5.5, etc...) and tire: 165/75 R15 . The overall diameter of this combination is 629mm, or only 3mm smaller than what I am running and it fits in the well. The R15 is necessary to clear the upgraded brakes.

So do I have a problem? My current wheel has 0 offset. The spare wheels I can find have offsets of 35mm or more and that raises the possibility of hitting the brake caliper. The caliper sticks out from the hub by only 7mm which does not seem like a lot but I don't know. Am I making too much of the offset issue? And do I have to test fit any candidate wheel to insure I have clearance?

I won't do any body mods and just need the right spare for the OEM 1972 body If you've had a similar issue please drop me a line. It would be appreciated.

Here's a pic. I really want to take this car on the road, but gotta have a reliable spare. Y'all stay safe.
Ageneral (4).jpg

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,319 Posts
My car has dual ventilated disc brakes all around and the current wheel and tire are wheel: 16x7.0 4X114.3 bolt pattern. The tire is a 205/55 R16. The overall diameter of this combination is 632mm (24.44") and 205mm section width.

The spare tire well will accept anything up to 165mm section width, so I figure the spare should be- wheel: 15x6.5, 4x114.3 (or 15x6.0, 15x5.5, etc...) and tire: 165/75 R15 . The overall diameter of this combination is 629mm, or only 3mm smaller than what I am running and it fits in the well. The R15 is necessary to clear the upgraded brakes.

So do I have a problem? My current wheel has 0 offset. The spare wheels I can find have offsets of 35mm or more and that raises the possibility of hitting the brake caliper. The caliper sticks out from the hub by only 7mm which does not seem like a lot but I don't know. Am I making too much of the offset issue? And do I have to test fit any candidate wheel to insure I have clearance?

I won't do any body mods and just need the right spare for the OEM 1972 body If you've had a similar issue please drop me a line. It would be appreciated.

Here's a pic. I really want to take this car on the road, but gotta have a reliable spare. Y'all stay safe. View attachment 108194
What I do with my BMW 3-Series cars that have no spares is to carry a compact 12V air pump and a plug kit. Flats are unusual enough that I’m not nervous about doing this on trips, and I’m not using run-flat tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Here's a pic. I really want to take this car on the road, but gotta have a reliable spare. Y'all stay safe. View attachment 108194
Thanks for the idea, but the last time I had a flat it was a blowout in the sidewall and no patch would have worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts